Senior Data Insights Analyst
Universal Music GroupKings Cross, UK
Full Time Job
Job title: Senior Data Insights Analyst
Reporting to: Data Analysis Manager
Department: Global Insight
Location of work: London, Kings Cross
Main purpose of role
We are seeking a Senior Data Insights Analyst to join the Global Insight team (based in London) to support and develop our growing commercial data-based projects and capabilities. Global Insight acts as an insight agency within UMG. Handling a range of data sources and with expertise in various research areas, we provide unique detail into evolving attitudes and behaviours of today’s music consumers and our artists’ audiences. We deliver actionable insights that feed into strategy, operation, and promote revenue optimisation. Liaising with a network of insight specialists in different countries, with a centralised research infrastructure, the UMG’s Global Insight team provides localised research solutions within a global context.
• Your role will be to perform analysis on large sets of structured commercial data on a daily basis, to identify actionable recommendations for the business and for artists.
• SQL skills are essential- we are looking for someone who has experience working with big, transaction level data. Ability to write well structured, performance SQL using advanced SQL techniques (e.g. Window Functions where appropriate.)
• You will have to take broad business questions, develop engaging briefs and translate them into a clearly structured approach.
• Drive projects from start to finish: define the data needed, conduct the analysis and come up with conclusive answers and specific strategic recommendations.
• Come up with new ways to look at data, creating new frameworks of data analysis and interpretation for the business. Innovate on an ongoing basis.
• Apply contextual knowledge about artists and the music industry in your commercial data analysis and interpretation.
• Understand and communicate the implications of the changes in the music landscape in the data analysis interpretation.
• Work closely with the Data / Analytics teams in N.Y and L.A., ensuring you are up-to-date and involved with the data analysis initiatives developed across the business.
• Consolidate and scale analysis that is happening in analytics teams on a local level, coordinating efforts and leading on a global level approach.
• SQL skills to be able to extract the data to analyse.
• Experience in a similar data analyst/strategist role, preferably in an entertainment/ tech company.
• Proven track record of effective and innovative ways to use data to drive recommendations to the business. Extensive experience performing hands-on analysis with large datasets.
• Deep understanding of numbers, as well as a strong business sense.
• Ability to explain complex topics in simple terms. Can translate numerical findings into recommendations.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is needed.
• Passion for music is essential.
Diversity and inclusion
Universal Music is an equal opportunities employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to a working environment where no one will be treated less favourably on grounds of their sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or age.
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.