Universal Music GroupHollywood, CA
Full Time Job
Based at the iconic Capitol Tower in the heart of Hollywood, Capitol Music Group is home to some of the best-known labels in modern music; encompassing the jazz icons of Blue Note, Capitol’s generations of pop stars, and the legendary recording of Motown to name but a few. We produce, distribute and promote some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music in the industry. This role is a fantastic opportunity to join an organization on the cutting edge of the modern music business and, as part of Universal Music Group, a chance to be part of the world’s leading Music Company.
How we LEAD:
The chance to join the world’s most iconic music company as the Vice-President, A&R does not come up very often! We are currently looking for creative executives with a passion for music to join our A&R team at Capitol Records. The Vice-President, A&R will secure new songs for existing talent on the label as well as evaluate new talent and serve as a liaison between assigned artists and the label. They will be a highly creative leader with solid relationships in the music industry. They will be an expert in specific genres and have a deep understanding of and relationships with those genres’ key players and marketplace trends. They will have forward-thinking ideas on how to select and guide artists to success. This position will be LA-based.
How you’ll CREATE:
• Secure new songs for existing talent on the label.
• Evaluate talent and match with potential audience tastes.
• Oversee the recording, production, mastering, sequencing of artist projects.
• Provide comprehensive feedback on new music to label President and head of A&R.
• Review and recommend submitted/solicited demos as well as online material.
• Act as label liaison with artists once they are signed to the label.
• Provide creative input and direction on artist's material.
• Find suitable producers, writers/co-writers, sound engineers and recording studios.
• Coordinate pre-production and production, mixing and mastering.
• Plan and monitor recording budgets for assigned projects.
• Keep projects within agreed budget and schedule/timeline.
• Evaluate recording and mixing progress for label's artists.
• Attend live showcases/concerts at clubs and other venues.
• Maintain files/records on all shows attended.
• Work closely with other label departments/employees including Marketing, Digital, Publicity, Promotion and Commerce to ensure recorded material is commercially successful.
• Develop and maintain relationships with industry insiders (managers, agents, attorneys, promoters, radio programmers, retail trade and consumer press, tastemakers, etc.).
Bring your VIBE:
• Minimum 10 years music industry experience, with a demonstrated track record of finding new songs for existing talent and finding emerging artists that fit in with label's musical offerings/musical direction.
• Experience with the different steps in the recording, production, mastering, sequencing and release of a record required.
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills and time management skills; ability to influence and negotiate.
• Must have strong knowledge of music and the ability to separate/identify what’s commercially viable.
• A pro-active self-starter with strong problem solving and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task, be flexible and be a team player.
• Ability to create and maintain strong relationships with artists, managers, attorneys, etc.
• Ability to travel and attend showcases as required.
• Must understand the artist lifestyle.
• Excellent computer skills, MS Office and an intimate knowledge of the internet
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.