Vice President, Human Resources, Employee Relations
Universal Music GroupSanta Monica, CA
Full Time Job
You will provide thought leadership in developing workplace practices and policies that support the culture. You will provide employee relations expertise to ensure a positive ethical workplace environment and roll up your sleeves to lead, advise and tackle investigations. The position partners closely with the in-house employment team, or external employment law counsel as well as HR Business Partners in driving consistent ER process across the organization while minimizing risk and ensuring a positive ethical workplace environment. You will be focused on the proactive (education and prevention) and the reactive (investigations). You will be responsible for providing expert level consultation, guidance and support in all matters related to employee relations and labor relations.
• Guide and drive strategies to resolve difficult and/or sensitive workplace matters
• Act as a central, objective resource for employees and management, providing coaching and guidance on internal investigations related to discrimination claims, claims of harassment, policy violations and other reported issues. Conduct investigations as applicable.
• Primary partner to legal and the business for limited union contract negotiations, serves as the subject matter expert around union contract interpretation
• Programmatic co- ownership (with legal) of anonymous reporting tool for workplace issues
• Provide oversight and guidance on HR Business Partners on re- organizations and sensitive separations.
• Develop and provide training to HR Business Partners and managers regarding employee relations issues, external/internal trends, re- orgs, etc.
• Advise on employment practices aimed at driving a consistent employee experience
• Develop and drive consistent tools and process related to Employee Relations
• Proactive training to employees, managers and HR focused on prevention of workplace issues
• Central development and application of Employee Policies/Practices, including workplace accommodations
• Primary liaison with legal
• Leads the development and implementation of HR Compliance initiatives and activities (audits, annual compliance, trainings, etc.)
• Partners closely with compliance team regarding marketing and communication strategy to encourage employees to speak up.
• Understanding of, and experience with, core aspects of Human Resource Management (staffing; employee relations; compensation planning, performance management; leadership development; coaching and training)
• Strong knowledge of employment law, compliance, and conducting sensitive investigations.
• Ability to think strategically and translate concepts into actionable items
• Must possess consultative style and approach with proven ability to develop credible relationships
• Comfortable working in ambiguous business situations and advising accordingly – developing creative solutions
• Proven ability to influence decision making; courage to make tough decisions and deliver difficult messages
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, and project management skills
• Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
• Exercise a high degree of professionalism and diplomacy in interactions with all levels of the organization
• Strong experience and demonstrated skills in handling a variety of employee relations matters
• Excellent follow through skills and the ability to anticipate and address business needs proactively
• Possess strong work ethic; self-motivated with a desire to take initiative and look for ways to improve processes and create efficiencies
• Excellent time management and organizational skills in managing through multiple priorities with overlapping tasks across multiple businesses
• Highly adaptable to a fluid and ever-changing work environment
• Ability to lead and manage people effectively
• Team-oriented attitude balanced with ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Sense of urgency – motivated/energetic/enthusiastic – dedicated and loyal
• Minimum 10 years of prior Employee Relations/Compliance/Human Resources Generalist experience
• Experience practicing HR/ER in a fast paced, unstructured, and/or creative industry (music, fashion, retail, television, advertising, hospitality etc.) is a plus
• Expert knowledge of ER, labor relations, conflict resolution and direct experience leading complex investigations at all levels, including executive.
• Strong knowledge in employment laws; multi-state experience required-
• Proficient in MS Office (word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) experience a plus
Travel will be required, sometimes with little notice
• Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in a relevant field with HR related coursework- JD preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.