Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs
Universal Music GroupSanta Monica, CA
Full Time Job
Interscope Geffen A&M Records (“IGA”) is home to some of the biggest artists in the world including: U2, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Lady Gaga, and many more. As a leader in the music industry, we are always looking for talented and driven individuals to join our family.
How we LEAD:
VP, Business & Legal Affairs will be responsible for the oversight of all legal activities associated with the business of IGA and will represent the company and lead responsibility for legal matters of the highest profile, impact, complexity, or sensitivity.
As a key member of IGA senior leadership team, the VP reports into the company EVP, Business and Legal Affairs and has key relationships with the executive team both as legal advisor and a member of the business team. The VP is responsible for identifying company issues with legal implications for IGA, its brands, and portfolio businesses, and for communicating those issues promptly.
The VP leads the company’s business and legal affairs function and partners with all respective IGA and UMG business leaders so that the business and legal affairs function operates as a business enabling service organization which offers creative, proactive business solutions to legal issues. The role is accountable for managing, among other things, the transactional, litigation, entertainment law, employment law, intellectual property, licensing agreements, distribution agreements, government relations and compliance matters for the company, in cooperation with UMG and IGA legal resources.
How you’ll CREATE:
• Provide strategic guidance and expertise to leadership on a broad array of significant legal issues impacting commercial activities associated with artist-branded products, including negotiation, drafting, and execution of merchandise, manufacturing, design, distribution and license agreements
• Manage day-to-day operation of the business & legal affairs function, including budgeting, resource allocation, and recruitment, development, and retention of legal talent
• Collaborate with IGA executives to provide solutions to legal issues raised in contractual negotiations and on-going programs and develop risk mitigation strategies for the business as appropriate
• Lead, develop, and coach the business and legal affairs function team members, providing real-time feedback, partnering on individual development, delivering formal performance reviews, handling administrative and managerial matters associated with having direct reports, and leading efforts related to recruitment, retention, and succession
• Oversee activities related to acquisition, exploitation and protection of artists’ intellectual property rights in connection with artist merchandise and brand development, including monitoring of rights related to creative assets, brand partnerships, import/export, anti-counterfeiting, and third-party dispute resolution
• Oversee and facilitate communication and networking with artist representatives, internal UMG executives/business units, and outside counsel
• Consults with UMG Legal Division members and/or outside counsel legal resources on matters peripheral to the core legal functions of IGA, such as corporate, litigation, intellectual property, employment law, and compliance matters to manage legal issues impacting the company and UMG
• Analyze corporate contracts, legal agreements, risk management issues, and properly protects the company’s and UMG’s interests
• Oversees the sourcing, vetting and management of outside counsel in a cost-effective manner.
• Maintain a current knowledge of local, state, federal and international legal and policy issues impacting the company to advise the business on developments and strategic approaches to business strategies and new business initiatives
Bring your VIBE:
• Juris Doctorate Degree and current membership in the NYC or California State Bar
• 7-10 years’ experience handling and advising on intellectual property and commercial marketing issues including the procurement, development and protection of artists’ rights and the licensing, manufacture, distribution, promotion and sale of merchandise and licensed products at the State, Federal and International levels
• At least 7 years experience in the recorded music industry environment in senior legal/business affairs roles
• Exceptional problem-solving, risk assessment, and analysis skills
• Strong entertainment business experience
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including effectively communicating and consulting with diverse, cross-functional audiences, able to influence and negotiate
• Exceptional organizational skills, able to manage multiple competing priorities and successfully get work done through others. Results oriented. Must be proactive, detail oriented, and possess the ability to meet tight deadlines
• Strong collaboration and team skills, bringing an end-to-end business mindset and approach to getting results
• Strong learning agility, ability to adapt quickly to new information, processes and inputs and successfully work through ambiguity. Highly self-motivated with a strong sense of personal accountability. Able to work in a fast-paced, often changing environment and can effectively shift between strategic thinking and executing work
• Stay up to date on external legal environment and translate into best ways of working for Bravado
• Leadership skills as strong as technical skills: high level of professionalism, builds followership by being both a thought leader and an excellent collaborator for the greater good, holds self and others to a high degree of accountability, sets a vision and charts a path to get there (for self and others), models behavior to create desired culture, demonstrates managerial courage, leads others through change / ambiguity
• Prior leadership and people management experience including building teams, developing talent for advancement/succession, coaching, and giving feedback
• Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan with company matching
• Flexible Paid Time Off plus Paid Holidays, 2 week “Winter Break” & Wellness Fridays (year-round)
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Student Loan Repayment Assistance & Tuition Reimbursement (after 12 months of service)
• Robust Employee Assistance Program (for you and your loved one
• Annual Well-Being Allowance which includes Fitness, Travel, Home Enhancements, Nutrition, and Spa Treatment Reimbursements
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.