Legal & Business Affairs Manager
Universal Music GroupKings Cross, UK
Full Time Job
Job title: Legal & Business Affairs Manager
Responsible to: VP, Legal & Business Affairs
Department: Legal & Business Affairs
Location of work: Kings Cross, London
The A Side: A Day in The Life
Opportunity to join a busy Legal & Business Affairs team at a leading major music publisher. We service all of the UMPG UK departments including A&R, Film & TV/Sync, Administration and Production Music. One of two Legal & Business Affairs Managers, and reporting to VP, Legal & Business Affairs UK, you will be a key member of the team and will be in the front line, interacting and building relationships with artist and writer representatives as well as the UK A&R team. You’ll deal with the full spectrum of legal and business affairs matters and be point person on negotiations and writer deal closings.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
• Negotiating, drafting and re-negotiating agreements with songwriters and rights owners for UMP UK and UPPM, and dealing with writers’ managers and advisers in relation to all such matters.
• Advising and dealing with all legal & contractual matters (including some contentious aspects) relating to UMPG’s repertoire.
Be commercial/ knowledgeable
• Assisting with any major transactions undertaken by UMPG including any acquisitions or divestments of repertoire.
• Building and maintaining excellent business and professional relationships, both across UMPG and within UMG and the wider music industry (including the legal community.)
• Qualified lawyer with professional legal qualification (or equivalent.)
• Excellent negotiation skills and ability to provide pragmatic commercial and legal advice to varied internal client base (A&R, creative/sync, finance, senior management, production music, administration.)
• Excellent drafting skills.
• Confident working independently using own initiative while being prepared to take guidance on appropriate matters.
• Excellent team player; organised and able to work quickly without losing attention to detail.
• Ability to quickly access, prioritise and take action with a creative and flexible outlook.
• Integrity – able to look after the interests of the company while building effective working relationships with colleagues and outside contacts (including writer lawyers and management) gaining their trust & respect.
• Strong interest in music and the music business, ideally with professional experience of the same.
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
• Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
• Private Medical Insurance
• 25 paid days of annual leave
• Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
• Holiday Purchase scheme
• Dental and Travel Insurance options
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Salary Sacrifice Cars
• Subsidised Gym Membership
• Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.
Music is Universal
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, please email.