Director, International Ecommerce
Universal Music GroupSanta Monica, CA
Full Time Job
We are UMG, Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Merchandise and commerce are becoming part of the fabric of music culture. For artists, it’s a way to develop and further articulate their brand. For fans, it’s another pathway to connecting with an artist and the culture they represent.
UMG eCommerce is looking for an International eCommerce Director to oversee global eCommerce campaign execution and continuously improve workflow between our US label teams and international markets. This person will oversee a team responsible for liaising with global territories to execute campaigns on behalf of many of the biggest and most iconic artists in the world. They will work closely with stakeholders across label and eCommerce teams, both domestically and abroad, to deliver amazing experiences to both the fans and our artists.
How you’ll CREATE:
• Work across multiple teams and label groups to oversee global eCommerce campaigns.
• Develop, maintain, and oversee key workflows, processes, and tooling to ensure international campaigns operate smoothly and efficiently.
• Coordinate strategy, creative, operational, marketing and customer engagement to drive artist and label eCommerce goals internationally.
• Act as international eCommerce lead for US teams, maintaining a deep understanding of international territory requirements, local chart rules, and key market trends.
• Oversee a small team of coordinators and managers to help execute international campaigns.
• Work collaboratively with US label teams, merchandise rights holders, and international markets to activate eCommerce campaigns using data and insight to help determine which markets should participate in those campaigns.
• Ensure an international focus is properly maintained in US eCommerce release planning and pre-planning with merchandise rights holders and US labels.
• Be the US ‘project lead’ for approval and management of international store launch checklists, and final ‘go live’ approvals. Will include being available as a resource for markets in non-European time zones, if required for a given campaign.
• Manage projects with the international teams to ensure local participation in market-specific strategy and content in support of and in alignment with global campaigns.
• Ensure internationally led campaigns are supported through localized US stores and are executed according to plan, in alignment with the repertoire owner and US supporting label.
• Drive implementation and adherence to timelines, templates, and best practice to ensure successful international launches.
• Coordination of global eCommerce store launch linking/redirects; ensuring great UX and that marketing and digital strategies adequately drive traffic and awareness to international stores.
• Work with appropriate partners to ensure product pricing and campaign P&L’s are created and approved for international releases prior to launch.
• Work with the insights and advanced analytics teams to leverage historic and audience data to inform participation and market-specific strategy.
• Use data analytics to optimize campaign performance against commercial and audience development goals on an ongoing basis.
• Coordinate post campaign analysis and ‘wrap-up’ against UMG and established eCommerce KPIs.
• Research and formulate ways to optimize the user experience (landing pages, customer journeys, streamlined purchase funnel, etc.).
• Work hand in hand with teammates across creative & campaign planning, store management, operations & customer service to collectively deliver a great customer experience to our fans and artists.
Bring your VIBE:
• 4-5 years’ experience managing global music or entertainment campaigns.
• 1-2 years managing international programs or working directly with international markets.
• Deep understanding of global consumer behavior trends, with knowledge and appreciation for differences across world regions and key music markets.
• Solid understanding or strong interest in global eCommerce trends, specifically best practices as they apply to the fan to artist relationship and variances between key markets.
• Deep understanding of music fandom and the fan to artist connection.
• Natural collaborator. Must be willing to set ego aside to deliver for our customers (both fans and artists).
• Exceptional verbal and written abilities — communication skills are essential (both internally and externally).
• Availability and willingness to take calls before and after hours to accommodate international teams.
• Extremely organized and comfortable streamlining many moving parts. Comfortable juggling multiple high priority projects simultaneously.
• Strong attention to detail; must be extremely detail oriented.
• Self-starter attitude capable of owning important responsibilities and seeing them through to completion with little oversight.
• Ability to stay calm and collected under pressure, and to be accountable for meeting deadlines.
• Strong critical thinking skills and an ability to make informed decisions based on data.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (particularly PowerPoint) and Mac OS.
• Strong passion for the music industry required. Experience in the music industry, particularly within a label, is a major plus.
• Experience with Shopify is a plus.
• Experience using Monday.com is a major plus.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or a related field.
• Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
• Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
• Student Loan Repayment Assistance
• Employee Developmental Support
• Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
• Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.