Director, Global Brand Insight
Universal Music GroupKings Cross, UK
Full Time Job
Job title: Director, Global Brand Insight
Responsible to: Snr Director, Global Brand Insight
Department: Global Insight
Location of work: 4 Pancras Square, Kings Cross
The A Side: A Day in The Life
UMG’s Global Insight team manages the most powerful and effective data sets and research capabilities in the music industry. As well as utilising sales, commercial / partner data, and social media analytics, the Global Insight team manages extensive consumer survey data from around the world, delivering unique detail into evolving attitudes and behaviours of today’s music consumers.
Global Insight is a 15 staff team, with presence in London, NY and LA. This role is based in London and will primarily support UMG’s global New Business teams, reporting directly to the Brand Insight Manager supporting the Brand Insight team. The role will also support the US Brand Insight team who creates strategically-led, meaningful partnerships between artists and brands.
The Brand Insight group helps create impactful partnerships that utilize data that informs the types of content and activation different music fans want based on the artist and/or brand. We believe insight-based approaches allow us to build deeper, more collaborative and longer-term relationships with brand partners.
This role is responsible for developing strategic direction for brands entering the music space. Its primary focus will be to help offer a consultative approach to music and brand marketing and translate primary insight into actionable strategic and creative direction.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
• Work in highly collaborative & cross-functional team environment
• Lead the delivery of research (primary & secondary), putting strategic thinking at the heart of the project to inform content and business development and brand strategies
• Leverage primary and secondary data sources to identify market trends and customer insights, and translate these into actionable brand ideas and strategies
• Develop strategic positioning frameworks in order to best articulate a brands purpose in music
• Extract insights from complex research, identifying the implications and ideas for brand growth
• Build thought provoking insight narratives that fuel creative thinking, trend frameworks, immersion sessions and cultural perspectives
• Identify and author thought leadership pieces to establish UMG’s leadership position in the music and entertainment space
• Driving active partnership with clients on an ongoing basis, maintaining the highest standards of output and confidently delivering presentations to senior client audiences
• Engage in compelling business storytelling to ensure insight inspires strategic decision making
• Strong Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
• Ability to analyse a problem from multiple perspectives and reason potential ways forward. Able to think laterally to solve a challenge
• Ability to develop logical and convincing arguments spanning multiple client sectors
• Strong presentation skills (preparation and delivery); credibly ‘pitches’ to clients
• Effective communicator with proven negotiating skills
• Strong collaborative skills to deliver results for the team
• Proven track record in project design as well as project leadership; including qualitative and quantitative measurements
• Ability to facilitate large groups in a workshop environment
• Sets high standards of self and others; proactive approach to opportunities
• Experience modeling costs
• A strategic thinker that is also a “doer”
• Must be detail, precision-oriented
• Proven track record in brand or creative strategy insight and analysis. Agency or consultancy background preferable
• Experience in managing and leveraging a strong / major brand
• Strong relationship development and the ability to work in a large multi-platform sales organisation
• Proven track record of dealing with senior-level marketers and agency clients
• Experience working with multiple media – media planning background would be useful
• Project management experience in a relevant environment is essential
• Proven experience of dealing and influencing senior management across multiple lines of business
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
• Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
• Private Medical Insurance
• 25 paid days of annual leave
• Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
• Holiday Purchase scheme
• Dental and Travel Insurance options
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Salary Sacrifice Cars
• Subsidised Gym Membership
• Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.
Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music who help make us Britain’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email.