Universal Music GroupHollywood, CA
Full Time Job
Universal Music Group is looking for a Data Scientist to join our in-house data research team, working across prediction, machine learning, analysis, workflow optimization and other areas where data and statistical methods can be applied to measurable advantage.
How we LEAD:
The ideal candidate should have a strong passion for music and music discovery, as well as a strong statistical background, with a very good understanding of common machine learning techniques. Candidates should at least be proficient in R or Python, and SQL.
This candidate should also have a demonstrated ability to manage client requests in a professional manner, communicate research and learnings to a variety of different audience types (from Senior Executives down to fellow Analysts), and work in both project teams and in silo to solve interesting problems in a consultative fashion.
How you’ll CREATE:
• Research and develop models/insight to help drive business objectives.
• Develop advanced test and learn approaches around artist and consumption analysis.
• Build/refine/improve new or pre-existing statistical models or processes.
• Advise on artist performance and analytical methods to help guide or inform strategy.
• Preparing data sets for applications such as classification, modelling and clustering.
• Developing new data features that can become invaluable pieces of insight.
• Integrate with external and internal APIs and data sources to augment music consumption data to uncover shifting market trends, new opportunities, operational efficiencies
Bring your VIBE:
• Passion and curiosity for music and the data that is used within the industry
• Proficient in at least one of R and Python.
• Advanced knowledge and experience of writing and tuning SQL
• Ability to query our databases (using platforms such as BigQuery) accurately and efficiently using SQL
• Excellent knowledge of using common Python/R statistical packages such as NumPy, SciPy, Statsmodels, scikit-learn, pandas, ggplot, etc...
• Experience in data mining tools and algorithms, machine learning, and statistics (e.g. regression, decision trees, neural networks, collaborative filtering, clustering, survival analysis, graph theory, etc.).
• Demonstrated experience developing machine learning models (e.g. distributed model training with SparkML, PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.) to deliver robust predictions and inferences in a production scale environment
• Knowledge or experience of working with Google Cloud Platforms products like BigQuery, Dataflow, Dataproc, Machine Leaning or similar cloud solutions would be desirable
• Importantly being creative and thinking outside the box in the way we tackle and build solutions.
• Capable of tackling very loosely defined problems
• 2 years of corporate experience (at the PhD level) / 4 years of corporate experience (at the MS level) working in a data scientist or equivalent role
• Experience managing and engaging with clients in a consultative or analytical capacity.
• Experience working with development teams to productize work.
• Degree in Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or a similarly quantitative degree
• Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
• Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
• Student Loan Repayment Assistance
• Employee Developmental Support
• Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
• Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.