Universal Music GroupJakarta, JK
Full Time Job
Country Representative, Def Jam Indonesia (1 year contract)
Def Jam Indonesia is a division of Universal Music Indonesia (UMI) in association with Def Jam South-East Asia. Def Jam began as a maverick independent label inspired by downtown New York City’s vibrant street culture and the emerging sound of hip-hop, pioneered by iconic stars like LL Cool J, Slick Rick, The Beastie Boys and Public Enemy. After single-handedly shaping hip-hop in America in the ‘80s and urging it into its current world-conquering, the beyond-influential institution now shines its light on South-East Asia. Today we are the biggest hip-hop label in both Indonesia as well as South-East Asia with a stellar roster of hip-hop legends, superstars and exciting upcoming hip-hop acts alike.
The Country Representative for Def Jam Indonesia is primarily responsible for developing existing talent on the label, securing songs for creative projects, as well as seeking new talent to add to the roster. They will be an expert in specific genres and have a deep understanding of and relationships with those genres’ key players and marketplace trends. They will have forward-thinking ideas on how to select and guide artists to success. Additionally, being an all-round product specialist, they will be working closely with the New Business team to develop relationships with Brands as well as exploring creative ways to drive brand deals and sponsorship revenue to the business. This position will be Jakarta-based.
About the role:
• Source, sign and develop new talent to the label
• Secure new songs for existing talent on the label.
• Oversee the recording, production, mastering, sequencing of artist projects.
• Provide comprehensive feedback on new music to the label team
• Review and recommend submitted/solicited demos as well as online material.
• Act as label liaison with artists once they are signed to the label.
• Provide creative input and direction on artist’s material
• Develop and maintain relationships with industry insiders (managers, agents, attorneys, promoters, radio programmers, retail trade and consumer press, tastemakers, etc.).
• Find suitable producers, writers/co-writers, sound engineers and recording studios.
• Coordinate pre-production and production, mixing and mastering.
• Plan and monitor recording budgets for assigned projects.
• Keep projects within agreed budget and schedule/timeline.
• Evaluate recording and mixing progress for label’s artists.
• Work with other UMI and Def Jam SEA leadership and other divisions to lead execution of and source talent for multi-platform projects such as brand partnerships, soundtracks and more.
• Help to manage and grow the Def Jam SEA brand with UMG; help to evaluate other international expansion opportunities
• Attend live showcases/concerts (once the world reopens).
• Maintain files/records on all shows attended.
• Responsible for uploading all final audio files onto the label’s shared drive (and keeping it updated).
• Responsible for maintaining updated Release Schedule.
• Work with Marketing and New Business teams to develop, plan and execute Priority Lists
• Responsible for updating both Domestic and Regional teams
• Work closely with other label departments/employees including Marketing, Digital, Publicity, Promotion and New Business to ensure recorded material is commercially successful.
To perform this job to the standards of Def Jam Indonesia, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
• Minimum 2 years music (or any other relevant) industry experience, with a demonstrated track record of finding new songs for existing talent and finding emerging artists that fit in with the label’s musical offerings/musical direction.
• Experience with the different steps in the recording, production, mastering and release of a record is preferred.
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills and time management skills; ability to influence and negotiate.
• Must have strong knowledge of music and fully understanding of the latest trend and have a grasp of what’s to come
• A proactive self-starter with strong problem solving and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task, be flexible and be a team player.
• Ability to create and maintain strong relationships with artists, managers, attorneys, etc.
• Ability to travel and attend showcases as required.
• Must understand the artist’s lifestyle.
• Excellent computer skills, MS Office and an intimate knowledge of the internet
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
Interested? Please follow the link to submit your application today!
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Universal Music Group (UMG) is the world leader in music-based entertainment, with a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries.
Featuring the most comprehensive catalog of recordings and songs across every musical genre, UMG identifies and develops artists and produces and distributes the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music in the world. Committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship, UMG fosters the development of services, platforms and business models in order to broaden artistic and commercial opportunities for our artists and create new experiences for fans.
UMG's catalog is marketed through two distinct divisions, Universal Music Enterprises (in the U.S.) and Universal Strategic Marketing (outside the U.S.). UMG also includes Universal Music Publishing Group, one of the industry's premier music publishing operations worldwide and Bravado, the leading provider of consumer, lifestyle and branding services to recording artists and entertainment brands around the world. Universal Music Group is a Vivendi company.