Classical Press Officer
Universal Music GroupKings Cross, UK
Full Time Job
Job title: Classical Press Officer
Responsible to: Head of Communications
Department: Decca Press & Promotions
Location of work: 4 Pancras Square, Kings Cross
Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music who help make us the world’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email [email protected]
The A Side: A Day in The Life
To manage print and online campaigns for release output from Decca Classics, Deutsche Grammophon, Mercury KX and other affiliated labels. To ensure good overall coverage across the extensive roster and to manage external communications in relation to these artists and their releases.
To develop the online and classical specialist media presence for artists on the roster, with specific attention to video asset placements, session opportunities and social media interaction (with support from Marketing Department).
To provide support to the Head of Communications on additional high-level campaigns as necessary and to lead various frontline campaigns in addition to all core classical projects. Also, to train and mentor junior members of the department (e.g. monthly Work Experience placement) to ensure that the classical roster within the department runs smoothly.
To write publicity materials (press releases/ news stories/ biographies) on demand
This role is primarily focused on (but not limited to) the media profile of classical artists. However, media campaigns are likely to encompass a range of artists from differing genres and backgrounds, so a broad musical knowledge and innovative approach to PR is essential. The candidate should have a thorough knowledge of the classical world and it is essential that you have extensive contacts within that sector of the media (Such as Gramophone & Headphone Commute) but also have the ability to take any particular artist outside the specialist arena and introduce them to the mainstream media. (Personal editorial contacts from The Times to Sainsburys magazine would also be beneficial)
The following are a guide to the tasks that will be expected of the successful candidate and should not be considered an exhaustive list, as the role will adapt to the needs of the business.
The B Side: Skills and Experience
• Management of high-level media campaigns to include pitching, liaison, logistics and enabling artist publicity to run smoothly
• Planning full campaigns and securing appropriate coverage (features/reviews/news/ streams & sessions) developing creative ideas and identifying what angles will make newsworthy opportunities
• Inform media of forthcoming releases, create news stories and ensure timely mailouts of advance digital promotional music
• Liaison with artists, artist managers and label representatives
• Building key relationships with on and offline media
• Staying up to date with digital developments and their application in the specialist media area
• Internal communication of developing campaigns, including liaison with senior staff
• Attendance at relevant company meetings, events and artist press/promotion as necessary
• National and overseas travel as necessary
• Proven experience in both classical music and mainstream media
• Excellent and established contacts in this area
• Ability to demonstrate successful execution of creative media campaigns
• Ability to work on own initiative and an appetite to drive forward artist profile
• Willingness to travel and attend gigs outside of office hours
• Flexibility to work according to the demands of a small, busy team
• First-rate verbal and written communication skills
• Highly organised
Bonus Tracks: Your Benefits
• Group Personal Pension Scheme (between 3% and 9%)
• Private Medical Insurance
• 25 paid days of annual leave
• Interest Free Season Ticket Loan available
• Holiday Purchase scheme
• Dental and Travel Insurance options
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Salary Sacrifice Cars
• Subsidised Gym Membership
• Employee Discounts (Reward Gateway)
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.