A&R Research Manager
Universal Music GroupHollywood, CA
Full Time Job
A&R Research Manager (Motown)
Based at the iconic Capitol Tower in the heart of Hollywood, Capitol Music Group is home to some of the best-known labels in modern music; encompassing the jazz icons of Blue Note, Capitol’s generations of pop stars, and the legendary recording of Motown to name but a few. We produce, distribute and promote some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music in the industry. This role is a fantastic opportunity to join an organization on the cutting edge of the modern music business and, as part of Universal Music Group, a chance to be part of the world’s leading Music Company.
How we LEAD:
As an A&R Research Manager, you will construct statistical insights and predictive metrics, conducting research on artists, and analyzing new music. These efforts will be used to evaluate song performance, identify new artists, support promotion strategy, and improve the label's understanding of new music metrics.
How you’ll CREATE:
• Oversee all A&R research and data mining for discovery of new artists, producer and songwriters for the Motown Records A&R Department
• Research artists and communicate unique qualitative and quantitative information
• Discover new artists through websites and apps including Music Connect, Indify, Chartmetric, Mediabase
• Monitor unsigned artists in the radio, streaming & sales spaces to communicate any relevant milestones to the A&R
• Build predictive models & other analytical data tools to regularly evaluate unsigned & signed talent including earning potential
• Collect, prepare, and explore a variety of music data, and construct new methods to draw insights from this data.
• Develop and test statistical and predictive models to support artist identification, signing decisions, song evaluation, and promotion strategy.
• Communicate closely with analytics and A&R teams in the gathering and application of music insights.
• Generate reports of the top artists ranked by the highest researching metrics.
• Build and maintain a central music database
• Develop new ways to evaluate unsigned talent via data collection
• Design and complete daily, monthly, weekly and adhoc commerce reporting
• Research industry trends, emerging digital services providers, and social media platforms
Bring your VIBE:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in statistics, engineering, applied math, physics, quantitative social sciences, computer science, or similar field.
• Prior experience in a data-driven role
• Proficiency with R or Python and SQL, as well as expertise with Excel.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong data visualization capabilities.
• Candidate is curious and self-motivated.
• Candidate is passionate about new music
• Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
• Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
• Student Loan Repayment Assistance
• Employee Developmental Support
• Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
• Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer