Software Engineer, Subscriptions
Full Time Job
Software Engineer, Subscriptions (Grant Funded)
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Each month, 129 million people engage with NPR via digital platforms – via our websites, smart speakers, podcasts, mobile applications, and more. We are looking for a talented and knowledgeable software engineer to help us develop a subscription-based podcast offering. This individual will join a cross-functional team developing the web experience while integrating with services handling payment processing and customer relationship management .
A day in the life of a Software Engineer:
Each day you will work with a cross-functional team of brilliant professionals combining business, design/user experience and engineering expertise, working relentlessly to push the boundaries of what’s possible, paving the road for the future of news and entertainment media.
Our team has a passion for Agile development and continuous improvement. We are diverse, lifelong learners and read omnivorously, regularly listen to Tiny Desk Concerts, tell coding jokes, have off-site happy hours, and optionally present at conferences. Plus we have great work-life balance - seriously.
It's your chance to work alongside great NPR podcasts, such as Code Switch, How I Built This, Planet Money, It's Been A Minute, and Short Wave.
The NPR Developers Blog is a great place to learn more about our team, who we are, what we do, and how we do it.
Required Technology Skills:
• Experience integrating with CRM and payment processing tools.
• Comfortable writing unit and other automated tests.
• Experience working with a version control system (Git preferred).
• Familiar with Serverless deployments.
• Ability to create and communicate practical technical designs.
Other Required Skills:
• Creativity, initiative, thirst for innovation and acute attention to detail.
• Vigor for crafting well-tested, well-documented and elegantly structured code.
• Passion for standards-based web development and polyglot programming.
• Honesty, friendly attitude and good sense of humor.
Bonus Points For:
• Experience with integrating with Stripe and / or Salesforce.
• Every additional programming language you are fluent in, i.e. PHP, Java, Python, etc..
• Experience with Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CICD).
• Fluent in relational databases, such as MySQL.
• Experience working with content management systems.
• Ability to work in Unix command-line over SSH terminal.
• Willingness to contribute to open-source projects.
Special Note about this Position:
• This is a temporary position through December 2022. While we cannot guarantee this today, there is a likelihood of extension or conversion to a permanent role prior to the end of this period. Please ask the recruiter or hiring manager any additional questions about this.
Interested in Applying?
View this link about our interview process, our working environment, more job descriptions, and advice.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.