Music Director - MTV News
MTVNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Music Director will report to the Editorial Director, MTV News and be responsible for MTV News’ music coverage across editorial, social and video. The Music Director will be a sharp creative who will directly oversee the editorial wing of MTV News’ music team of editors and writers, while collaborating across MTV News’ video and social teams to optimize and translate content across platforms. The Music Director will regularly utilize analytics and insights to inform content and increase traffic and engagement around editorial, social and video content. Additionally, the Music Director will work with other teams in MTV and Viacom landscape to inform and produce innovative content that builds positive brand loyalty/affinity and makes an impact in the cultural sphere.
With a natural passion for music across genres, from pop and hip-hop to indie rock and K-pop, the Music Director should be well-versed in editorial trends and strategies within the music and entertainment news space, have strong writing and editorial skills and sharp experience with crafting brand voice and tone, and comfortable creating content in real-time, innovating as needed to reflect a fast-paced news environment. The Music Director should be tireless as it pertains to identifying unique opportunities for MTV News to have a meaningful and unique impact on its audience.
Candidates must have experience producing editorial content for world-class digital or print news brands, with an eye towards creating a unique position, voice, point-of-view and strategy. Developing and managing relationships with MTV’s On-Air Producers, Development Team, Product Development, Editorial, Design, Technology, Marketing, and Ad Sales is a primary responsibility.
• Overseeing the overall music strategy for MTV News content as it lives across editorial, social and video platforms
• Managing a team of editors and writers to draft impactful, timely, engaging and audience-facing editorial posts. Occasional evening and weekend work as well as travel will be required for breaking news stories and key MTV and cultural events
• Working with the MTV News social team to understand the latest trends in social media to positively affect audience growth and key metrics (including video views, social engagement and site traffic) and monitor trends to inform content across platforms. Developing working relationships with internal partners as well as external platforms
• Collaborating with outside stakeholders (Music and Talent Programming, On-Air Producers, Integrated Marketing, other business units, etc) to ensure that strategic objectives are understood in concept development, and met
• Working with Research teams and third-party apps to identify and track relevant analytics
• Collaborating with Senior team members to work on larger MTV News projects and initiatives
• Representing MTV News in public spaces (press events, panels, public events) when applicable
• BA required
• At least 6 years of professional experience in editorial work for a digital or print news brand; some direct experience collaborating with social media teams at a digital or print news brand preferred.
• Experience developing content experiences that drive engagement in social media
• Experience working across many different teams (including Editorial, Marketing, Video and others) to inform and produce content
• A clear understanding of the MTV brand and a passion for creating innovative content for its audience
• A passion for pop culture and trending news
• Expert user and intimate familiarity with content management systems like Wordpress
• Expert user and intimate familiarity with traffic management systems like Parse.ly or Chartbeat
• Up-to-date on trends and the latest content types being created in the entertainment news space