Pipeline Technical Director, Level I Expression Of Interest
Industrial Light & MagicVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
The Pipeline TD develops and maintains software tools, providing front-line support to artists, and general troubleshooting of the CG pipeline in a fast-paced, feature film visual effects production environment. The primary focus is ensuring artist efficiency. Receives day-to-day direction and priorities from show CG Supervisor; reports to Studio Technology Director/Supervisors for technical guidance and oversight.
What You'll Do
• Develop pipeline and asset management tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands, ensuring facility-wide consistency as directed by show and technical supervisors
• Help maintain a wide array of existing workflows and scripts
• Provide front-line production support across a wide range of disciplines, troubleshoot assets and shots, and help artists with general problem-solving
• Monitor email requests, package up problems and redirect to appropriate engineering team
• Test and validate tools and techniques in production
• Work closely with engineering teams in testing, and releasing new and modified software systems
• Act as an on-call resource for show production staff, primarily for complex, urgent problems
• Work effectively with artists, production supervisors, and technical staff across ILM studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Sydney and London
• When not crewed to shows, serve on software teams working on projects that improve the efficiency of asset setup, caching, and shot-data handoff between artists across the entire pipeline
• Identify day-to- day priorities in conjunction with show supervisors; act autonomously
• Work primarily on tools of a high degree of complexity, requiring broad knowledge of the larger pipeline
• Develop comprehensive knowledge of software and systems; contribute to evolving standards and conventions used in production
• Update documentation for the pipeline and tools to reflect any changes that are made
What We're Looking For
• At least 2 years relevant production experience in visual effects for film, commercials or television and a BA in computer science, or related field; OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in computer graphics
• Proficiency in Linux
• Advanced Python scripting required
• Experience in one or more of Maya, Nuke, Houdini, Mari, Katana, RenderMan or similar
• Ability to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to pipeline issues.
• Detail oriented and strong self-sufficient trouble shooter.
• Good understanding of the entire visual effects process, from shooting to modeling and texturing, animation, rendering and compositing
• Nice to have:
• Experience with production database systems
• Experience with C, C++
• Experience with Windows development and applications such as 3ds max a plus
• • •