Breaking News / Traffic Anchor-Reporter
Hearst TelevisionNew Orleans, LA
Full Time Job
WDSU is now hiring a Breaking News/Traffic Anchor-Reporter. We need a creative storyteller who has excellent on-air presence and excellent communication skills. The ideal candidate will also have strong reporting skills and be comfortable covering breaking news on-air and in the field. We want someone who can interact with our viewers on social media and a journalist who will grow this position.
• Work with producers to identify the big, breaking stories each morning to front on-air and give perspective/context
• Ability to report in the field on breaking news/traffic as needed
• Prepare morning traffic report graphics
• News gather for traffic reports
• Provide clear and concise live traffic reports for morning show and evening shows
• Research and report up-to-the-minute traffic conditions
• Communicate that information to the show producers and show anchors in a timely manner.
• Make sure that corresponding graphics, video and live shots are used appropriately.
• Communicate morning traffic information to viewers via digital platforms including our station website, mobile app, and social media pages.
• Maintaining a traffic live wire through the end of the shift.
• Report in the field after AM shows to cover daily and breaking news as needed daily
• Fill-in anchor as needed
• Looking for 1-2 years as journalist and storyteller in a commercial television station.
• Equivalent military experience will be considered.
• Knowledge and experience with the station's traffic system.
• Must be a self-starter and able to ad lib in breaking news situations.
• Must speak c learly, have basic knowledge of how to use a computer and basic knowledge of social media outlets.
• Must be familiar with street and highway names and directions
• Must have strong reporting skills in the field to include breaking news experience.
• Bachelor's Degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field preferred.
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.