Business Intelligence Manager
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Hearst Magazines Media (HMM) is looking for an analytics junkie with a passion for digging into data and getting that information into people's hands. Joining the growing Content Data and Strategy Team, this seasoned analyst will oversee the reporting of audience growth on our dot coms, social extensions, and other emerging platforms to track and measure how our universe of 300 million users interact with us daily. In this role, you will be the caretaker for building out reporting and identifying new metrics that support our evolving audience strategies, synthesizing ever-evolving data sets and creating automated solutions that help our creators and brand leaders work smarter.
Reporting to the director of insights, this role will manage and mentor junior analysts and supports our ever-growing and always-innovating portfolio of 25 brands, which includes Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Men's Health, Delish, and many other major, consumer-focused brands. Part of an expanding business intelligence org, you'll partner regularly with our engineering and product teams, work with data scientists in our centralized Data Studio, and power the work of a dozen-plus content strategists to help us better understand what happened today and guide tomorrow's greatest ambitions. Ideal candidates should be comfortable interrogating large, disparate data sets, working with BI tools to develop views for end users, and writing SQL or LookML queries.
• Work with the larger strategy team to build, deliver, and develop automated dashboards and reporting tools that track against key audience growth and content performance goals.
• Combine and synthesize multiple data sets, cleaning and verifying the data for accuracy.
• Work with the data product and engineering teams to vet and develop new audience data sources and create ongoing efficiencies within key BI tools, such as Looker and Google Analytics.
• Manage another data analyst, mentoring on best practices and overseeing daily projects.
• Work with editors, video teams, and content strategists across the HMM portfolio to ensure all reporting and insights are clear, actionable, and help support individualized strategies. Clear communication skills and a collaborative spirit are essential.
• Serve as an internal expert and proactive mentor, teaching others how to make better data-driven decisions, read and understand reporting, and build their own bespoke reports.
• Share learnings with key stakeholders at the executive levels, creating data visualizations, sharing findings in group presentations, and surfacing intel on portfolio- and media industry-wide trends.
• Work closely with cross-functional teams, including aud dev specialists and marketers, revenue analysts, product managers, data scientists, SEO and social strategists, and others to track the success of new business and content initiatives.
• Partner with other org-wide stakeholders to develop enterprise-level dashboards, build out cross-functional BI interfaces, and continue to unify and identify how we report on key audience metrics and gauge impact.
• 5 years working in data analytics at a consumer-facing company; experience with a media-related business a plus.
• Deep knowledge of Google Analytics, Looker, Adobe Analytics, Parse.ly, and other content analytics and BI tools.
• Fluent in SQL and Python; must be comfortable with working with multiple data sets, and familiar with the technical architecture of digital media products.
• Experience analyzing, interpreting, and visualizing data into clean, clear, and digestible dashboards and reports.
• Highly communicative and capable of building strong relationships with colleagues and explaining complex topics in simple and influential terms.
• Organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable juggling multiple projects simultaneously across a variety of platforms and topics.
• Solid knowledge of the media distribution and measurement ecosystem and how it all works, from a technical and strategic perspective.
• An inherently curious person that will work doggedly to connect the dots.
• A lover of media with a keen interest in its ongoing evolution.