Director, Artist Marketing / Pop
Universal Music GroupHollywood, CA
Full Time Job
Universal Music Group is looking for a Director of Artist Marketing to be a part of Capitol Music Group (with a heavy focus for our independent label services and distribution division, Caroline) under their Commercial Development teams located in Hollywood, CA. The Director will coordinate day-to-day partner/programmer/taste-maker pitches for streaming services/DSPs and will partner with our labels/managers/artists to develop marketing campaigns that strategize the best course to market for their releases, a role specializing in Pop/Mainstream Music. This role will work in tandem with the various departments under the direction of the Sr. Director, Commercial and SVP, Marketing & Commercial. The role requires both a wide-ranging skill set for working across every department at a modern label group and a unique perspective to think ahead and anticipate the needs of tomorrow today.
• Label Relations: work with in-house and 3rd party label/management partners to drive strategy and deliver necessary assets for the best go to market approach, while being available for meetings and as a sounding board for advice, providing weekly reporting, etc
• Account Relations: develop strong relationships and work specifically with DSP/Streaming service programmers (Spotify, Apple, Tidal, etc) to drive message and strategy, taking direction from the commercial team account lead by utilizing plot, marketing, cultural capital and data to deliver on targets/goals/plans, while supporting/supplying necessary asset collection and pitch form administration
• Marketing Tools: help develop and foster a variety of marketing tools and communications targeted inside and outside the organization to ensure all priority content, assets and drivers are being surfaced to contacts in a consistent, near real-time manner
• Promotional Alignment: seek, secure and ensure promotional opportunities are executed within the scope of opportunity
• Partner Currency: in concert with marketing and social media teams, help develop account partner currency in the form of social media tagging, playlisting and various others uses of partner platforms and tool-kits to help seed artist partnership
• Go-to Market Strategy: Understand the demographics that comprise artists' fan bases and, based on the assets delivered by artists, help design product suites and timelines for all aspects of the marketplace
• Data Driven Analytics: know how to query and speak to specific data points that are meaningful to account relations and artist/manager expectations
• Culture Driven Focus: know of, be immersed in, and speak eloquently to the pulse/relevance of an artist within the culture of the scene, conveying what is meaningful for account relations and benchmarking artist/manager expectations
• Weekly Updates: create and drive weekly updates for all partners highlighting growth areas and opportunities on priority releases. Also working with label partners to ensure they are consistently delivering concise/meaningful updates for use by the commercial team
• New Opportunities: consistently look to find new third-party partners that can help market and promote our releases. Also work with pre-existing partners to develop new ways to help raise our partners’ profiles
• Caroline “branding”/visibility: Act as a “face” to Caroline, maintaining a presence at concerts and events.
• Strong analytical skills with ability to efficiently communicate strategy, results and market conditions that will drive project growth and optimization
• Great organizational skills with the ability to prioritize based evolving workload
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including: PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Word
• Strong communication abilities with the ability to write and convey marketing plans/efforts to executives and management
• Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, including adaptability, personal effectiveness, and the ability to establish quick rapport
• Strong organizational and time management skills, including prioritization and follow through
• 5 years of music industry experience with an emphasis on consumer-driven sales and/or marketing
• A life-long passion & encyclopaedic knowledge of Pop/Mainstream music both past and present
• Experience strategizing and executing marketing campaigns, including pitching proposals for prospective clients
• Knowledge and interest in taste-makers & gatekeepers of the Pop Music community and where/when to best utilize
• Must be tech savvy with deep understanding of current & forthcoming technologies and general market trends
• Must be familiar with/able to navigate, Nielsen, Buzz Angle, Mediabase, Next Big Sound and adapt to numerous of data dashboards
• Must have numerous key contact/relationships across Pop landscape (Apple, Spotify, Tidal, etc, as well as radio, blogs, press, etc)
• Candidates should be creative, innovative, detail-oriented and resourceful. Must be able to prioritize and multi-task
• Ability to act as a leader of & advocate for the genre across multiple departments, including but not limited to A&R, Digital, Finance, International, Legal, Marketing, Promotion, and Sales, on a daily basis
• A relaxed and confident approach to all business relationships internally and externally. The ability to put oneself in the position of an artist, manager, or partner at any given time to see their side as needed.
• Must be available for after hour meetings, shows, artist and programmer relations
• Degree preferred or 5 years relevant experience.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.
Capitol Music Group (CMG) is comprised of Capitol Records, Virgin Records, Motown, Blue Note Records, Astralwerks, Harvest Records, Capitol Christian Music Group, Priority Records and Deep Well Records, as well as Capitol Studios and CMG’s independent label services and distribution division, Caroline. Capitol Music Group is based in Hollywood, California in the iconic Capitol Records Tower.