Full Time Job
The Managing Editor will oversee and lead the day to day assets for content acquisition and creation across all platforms. This individual will drive decisions on the coverage for each story including breaking news. They will oversee and be responsible for the scheduling, planning (both short-term and long-term projects and major events) and logistics of the daily coverage. This individual will bring innovative thinking and systems that will make our newsroom more efficient. The Managing Editor will also be responsible for coaching and advising reporters & photographers on best practices, storytelling and new hire onboarding. This individual will be a strong leader of people and processes with the ability to inspire their team, work well with the larger newsroom team, and constantly assess and have a pulse on the overall health of each daypart. This position will report into the News Director.
• Take a leadership role and provide direction to assignment desk editors, reporters and photojournalists in an effort to find and develop stories for all screens; Regularly inform EPs and content producers of coverage
• Responsible for the coordination of long-range news events planning as well as the station's coverage of breaking news
• Work in close partnership with Digital strategist for execution of daily story development, content creation and data driven decisions across digital platforms
• Lead and oversee the daily editorial content and show production efforts
• Effectively communicate with all station staff
• Lead a team providing guidance and instructions on day-to-day tasks or assignments, ongoing performance feedback, and coaching and training in efforts to build a strong team
• Primary point of contact for big story coordination across the Owned Television Stations group
• Serve as daily content manager, working one-on-one with content creators including approving reporter scripts, editing copy, reviewing content for facts and up-to-date information and making sure stories meet the station's legal and standards guidelines.
• Experience working in a newsroom with strong editorial skills
• Proven ability to manage, coach and inspire a team
• Have an understanding of the market with a strong sense of our audience
• Possess outstanding communication skills
• Strong ability to problem-solve and multi-task, coordinating several responsibilities simultaneously
• Proven ability to work well in high-pressured situations
• Have knowledge of regulatory programming policies including content clearance rights (video, images, music, Fair Use policy, etc.), Drone usage, FCC Closed Captioning and Program Ratings rules, among others.
• Expertise in working with the latest newsroom technologies and programs
• Must have a strong work ethic
• Knowledge of Dalet and various newsroom programs
• Experience producing content across linear and digital platforms
• Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or related field a plus or possess related experience
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with WTVD Television, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
WTVD Television, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.