Producer, New Shows
WonderyWest Hollywood, CA
Full Time Job
Wondery is looking for a producer/writer for the New Shows team. This position will play a key role in helping to launch, produce and manage a slate of new ''always on'' shows. You will pitch new ideas, participate in the early creative development process, and work with the senior team to produce and manage daily production needs from soup to nuts through launch and beyond
We are looking for a candidate who loves character-driven audio storytelling and understands how to convey complex information in a dramatic, accurate, and emotionally engaging way. You are highly organized with experience working on projects in a deadline-driven environment. You will work closely with the senior team and external editors, hosts and sound designers to help create and produce a variety of story-based shows from kids content to fact-based single and dual voice multi-episode narratives. This role requires both a familiarity with long form narrative writing and structure, as well as experience managing projects with multiple stakeholders including tracking schedules, and delivering assets. You thrive in a fast paced creative environment and are self-directed but also enjoy collaborating and working with teams. Bonus if you have experience working in fact-based storytelling or have podcast production experience.
This role can be based in either Los Angeles, CA; Atlanta, GA; or New York (Brooklyn and New York City).
Key job responsibilities
• Long form narrative story experience. This role works with external writers, editors, sound designer on the creative of the show. You will communicate notes with writers and do rewrites as needed . They must have a deep understanding of the elements of storytelling (three act structure, plot logic, tension/stakes, character development throughlines.)
• Experience working across formats and narrative genres such as doc, feature mag, reality, books, audio, scripts.
• Highly organized with experience working in deadline driven environments with multiple stakeholders. This role will own key pieces of the production process including onboarding external producers, communicating deadlines, tracking calendar deadlines, and delivering episodes on time at the highest quality.
• Detail oriented. The producer/ writer also helps manage editorial workflow including folder organization, creation of style and process guides, and ongoing production needs.
• Ability to communicate with external and internal stakeholders. They collaborate with internal teams, and verbally pitch ideas in small and large groups.
• An ear for story. This role will listen to mixes and provide notes for sound designers.
• Help identify new sources of diverse writers, story editors, and voice talent
• Pitch new show ideas in bi-monthly meetings.
A day in the life
A day in the life is varied and always exciting for a producer on the new shows team. On the creative/editorial side you might work with the senior story editor on an outline or script for one of our single-voice narrative shows. You might write a trailer or participate in a pitch meeting or assist Senior Producer providing notes on a host VO session or sound design mix. On the producer side you might build out the folder system on Google drive for a new show, create show contact sheets, work with production management on a calendar, or reach out to new writers and editors.
About the team
The Wondery New Shows team is comprised of story editors, television and audio producers and writers who are passionate about telling compelling narrative stories. We are able to pivot on a dime to problem solve a script issue or craft a novel solution to hit a deadline. We are always learning and growing and celebrate one another's accomplishments.
Wondery, an Amazon company, is a premium podcast studio known for character-driven, binge-worthy stories including Dr. Death, The Shrink Next Door, Even the Rich and Business Wars, and distribution of hit partner shows SmartLess, My Favorite Murder, and How I Built This. Wondery has gained critical acclaim and commercial success for its immersive approach to sonic, emotionally driven storytelling, which helps listeners to ''Feel the Story.'' Forty-three shows from Wondery have hit #1 on Apple Podcasts including Harsh Reality and Scamfluencers. Many Wondery shows have been adapted for scripted television or streaming series. The Wondery app offers a unique, personalized podcast listening experience with over 15,000 episodes, including access to its premium ad-free offering Wondery .
3 years experience as a producer/production manager or line producer
3 years experience with budgeting, scheduling and cost reports