WNBCNew York, NY
The WNBC Technology & Operations department provides Technical Support, Engineering, Media Operations, Production, Studios and Facilities services for internal clients for the local portfolio of NBCU Owned Television Station businesses. The Technology team has responsibility for partnering with our local & division teams to build, deploy and support the technical systems used at NBCU Owned Television Stations WNBC.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the maintenance engineer is a position within the Technology & Operations Department that will be primarily responsible for gathering requirements, planning, designing and implementing systems within our mission critical broadcast environment. The role requires that you possess the necessary self-discipline to take ownership and responsibility for delivering technical solutions considering both business and technical needs of all customers with the goal of providing a quality product that meets the user needs. You will be part of a talented team of engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering internal customer-oriented solutions, mission critical infrastructure, and ensuring the highest levels of availability and performance. The role will suit individuals who are excited by the opportunity to work with leading edge technologies in the design, implementation and transition to IP based and highly virtualized broadcast environments.
• ''A Hands on'' accomplished maintenance engineer dedicated to help our business win by supporting mission critical broadcast projects and new initiatives.
• Support of Control Room and Studio Systems: Switcher, Audio Console, Cameras, Multiviewer, etc.
• Configure and maintain MPEG encoders, PSIP generators, and other associated distribution products
• Proficient with AutoCAD to document new and modified installations
• Logging of all equipment problems to provide effective communication of issues to coworkers, management and vendors.
• Develop strong working relationships with department leaders and their teams including Production Operations, IT, Creative Services, Sales, Traffic and News Operations groups to define project requirements and create systems that creatively solve business challenges or implement new processes.
• Manage systems, documentation, follow best practices and implement new technologies & deliver projects on time & within budget.
• Provide advanced troubleshooting & support for systems, infrastructure and applications, including root cause analysis.
• Evaluate and optimize workflows related to all broadcast systems including linear and IP fabric for video infrastructures, virtualized Windows & Linux environments, encode / decode platforms, newsgathering tools, NLE, Media Asset Management systems, distribution / transmission systems and other workflow tools.
• Risk Management: Assess all issues, adds, changes to mitigate potential system impact.
• Participate in the testing new technology and make recommendations to Management on needed resources, feasibility, budget and timing requirements for inclusion in strategic plan.
• Produce work that is consistently professional, reliable and detail oriented.
• Other duties as deemed necessary
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Broadcast Engineering or 5+ years' equivalent experience in a related field.
• Experience in a similar role with an ISP, media company, systems integrator or other relevant industry.
• Overall understanding and knowledge of the television production process, broadcast operations, automation, production and distribution technologies.
• Understanding of Terminal gear, IRDs, MPEG ASI Encoder/Decoders, PSIP generators
• Experience in supporting large scale systems to support business needs
• Experience supporting a major market or network News operation
• Proficient in A/V file transcoding, data archiving processes and video compression technologies & standards.
• Demonstrated knowledge of media over managed IP networks and protocols.
• Knowledge of media workflow tools and production systems such as Vantage, Dalet, Ross Overdrive or similar.
• Knowledge of distribution systems including RF, streaming and satellite.
• Strong ability to read and generate system documentation (Visio, ACAD).
• Positive work ethic, ability to work well in groups to execute projects on time and on budget while meeting customer expectations.
• Ability to communicate and interact effectively with diverse audiences across different departments, ranging from non-technical clients to technical professionals and operations staff.
• Knowledge of standard engineering processes such as change control and agile development concepts.
• Must be keen to learn and develop new skills?
• Ability to work on own initiative
• Excellent organization, collaboration and communication skills.
• Must possess strong multitasking skills and the ability to prioritize tasks
• Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV to be considered
• Must be willing to work in New York City Area
• Willingness to travel and work outside standard hours, and on weekends with short notice
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be 18 years or older
• Ability to lift and carry 50+ pounds of gear
• Must be willing to join NABET Local 11. Via email:
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will allow resumes sent in the body of the email OR as an attachment. Apply Online