Intern - Horizon Scholar Application
Wnba Chicago SkyChicago, IL
Part Time Unpaid Internship
A little about us!
The WNBA Chicago Sky is a professional basketball team, which is part of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) –the longest running female professional sports league in the world. Started its first season in 2006, the Chicago Sky became the first independently owned WNBA team in the country. The team's Principal Owner, Michael Alter, is a Chicago native and President of the Alter Group, one of the country's largest private commercial real estate development companies.
The mission of the Chicago Sky is to enrich the lives of the Chicagoland community by providing competitive, world-class basketball combined with a drive to inspire people to believe in redefining what is possible.
On Sunday, October 17, 2021 the Chicago Sky won its first WNBA Championship. The Chicago Sky plays its home games at the Wintrust Arena, Chicago, IL. The regular season runs from May to September, with the All-Star game taking place midway through the season in July and the playoffs concluding by the middle of October.
About the internship!
The Horizon Scholar Internship program is a structured 12-week paid summer internship (May through August) for college juniors' and seniors'. The program is committed to curating introductory opportunities and exposure to the sports and entertainment business within a WNBA front office by engaging in hands-on opportunities within specialized departments. Students will develop sports business acumen, gain exposure within a WNBA franchise, grow their professional network, and meaningfully contribute to the organization and brand's growth.
Our offices are located at McCormick Place, 230 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL and our games are played at the Wintrust Arena located at 200 E Cermak Rd., Chicago, IL 60616. You can drive (park for free), take the bus, or take the train to both locations. You are responsible for transportation to and from work.
Each student will be given a description based on their areas of interest and not rotate.
Following the program, you will be asked to complete a recap questionnaire as well as offer any feedback for future scholars.
• Must be currently enrolled in college and will enroll into your Junior or Senior year by Fall 2023
• Must meet the financial requirement to qualify for a Federal Pell Grant
• Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
• Strong desire to work in the sports and/or entertainment industry following graduations
• Ability to multitask and manage projects on strict deadlines
• Effective communication, time management and organizational skills
• Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment
• Ability to work non-standard hours including nights, weekends, and holidays
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.