Summer Intern - News Planning Abc7
WLS TelevisionChicago, IL
Full Time Unpaid Internship
News Planning Internship ABC7 (WLS-TV) Chicago Summer 2020
ABC7 (WLS-TV) Chicago is the Midwest flagship of the ABC television network. ABC7 leads the market in local news coverage with daily newscasts, and has been in a number one position in local news since March 1986. The station's offices and studios are located in The Loop in downtown Chicago.
The News Planning Department handles all future events as well as developing story ideas for the newsroom. We take calls and emails that come into the newsroom and make the extra follow-up calls that are needed to flesh out whether it's a story we would want to further pursue. We set up times and places for interviews and video opportunities. We enter information on upcoming press conferences and other planned events into the daybook days and weeks ahead of time.
A day in the life…
We prefer that you are able to attend our daily weekday morning editorial meetings at 9am. From there you are able to see what stories get discussed and assigned to reporters. It also gives you the ability to go out with a reporter on occasion. Other responsibilities include:
• Going through the daily 15 or so newspapers that we read every morning to see what other angles are out there for stories we might not have covered.
• Assisting in filing the stories and events along with entering and writing descriptions of various stories into the planner for the next day.
• Getting exposure to other departments around the newsroom which include our show producers, website staff, and graphics department so you can see all facets of what goes into putting together a newscast.
What you bring to the role…
• Strong communicator and not afraid to ask questions, whether it be to fellow employees or when calling on stories.
• Respectful and hardworking, someone who's priority is gaining experience
• Previous experience (academic or internship) in journalism (print, digital, and/or broadcast)
• Pursuing a degree in broadcast journalism and interested in a career in the industry
• Previous internship in a professional newsroom/local news affiliate
• Strong research, writing and editing skills
• Prior experience generating story ideas and pitches
• Prior experience with social media management
• All students must possess unrestricted work authorization
• All students must be at least 18 years old
• At the time of application, must currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring) prior to participation in the internship program class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months - OR - be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program in order to qualify for this internship.
• All candidates must be available from May through August
• All candidates must be willing to work 20 hours/week
• All students must provide their own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship
• All students must provide a consistent, reliable work schedule during the session
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with WLS Television, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
WLS Television, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.