Senior Director, Human Resources
Washington NationalsWashington, DC
Full Time Job
Under the direction of the Sr. Vice President & Chief People Officer (SVP & CPO), the Sr. Director of HR will provide guidance and support to employees, managers and department heads in all human resources related activities. This position is hands on, but also plays a strategic role in employee relations, talent acquisition, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives, training & development and performance management.
The Washington Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• First point of contact for employee relations issues, such as employee complaints and allegations of harassment, in consultation with the SVP & CPO.
• Participate on the DE&I Council leadership team. Implement and monitor initiatives that promote diversity while creating and fostering an open and inclusive culture within the company and in our community.
• Ensure hiring, onboarding, discipline and termination of employees is done consistently and in compliance with all applicable Federal and local laws.
• Administer the Performance Appraisal and Development Program.
• Lead the development and administration of Training & Development programs.
• Assist managers and employees with conflict resolution.
• Develop and administer employee recognition programs.
• Conduct exit interviews with employees to determine the underlying reasons for separation of employment. Provide data to support trends and participate in action planning to correct any organizational concerns.
• Oversees Unemployment Insurance practices and works with and provides direction to the human resources coordinator in responding to unemployment claims.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Prior experience working in the sports & entertainment industry preferred.
• Four year college degree in Human Resources or related field of study preferred.
• Minimum of 4 years exempt level human resources experience.
• Minimum of 4 years supervisory experience.
• Experience with UKG Pro software products preferred.
• Experience working in HR Business Partner Model preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
• Knowledge of all pertinent US federal and state employment laws.
• Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Access and HRIS systems.
• Ability to continuously evaluate all HR programs with an eye towards improvement and implementing new and best practices.
• Ability to coach managers and employees through complex, difficult and emotional issues.
• Project Management skills and ability to multi task, establish priorities, and consistently meet deadlines.
• Excellent oral & written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to build and maintain effective and constructive relationships by being attentive and responsive and show honesty and integrity when dealing with people.
• Understand how to manage information, balancing employee confidentiality with business needs; knows when to communicate upwards.
• Team and/or sports experience preferred.
• Knowledge of MLB policies and procedures preferred.
• Occasional evening & weekend work may be required.
• Minimal travel required.
• Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment.