Intern - Major League Operations
Washington NationalsWashington, DC
Part Time Unpaid Internship
Contribute to Washington Nationals Baseball Operations for the 2019 season as one of our highly valued interns. We're looking for accomplished individuals who can contribute to our front office by specializing in work related to Major League Operations. This internship is for the 2019 season and typically spans from Opening Day to November 1st.
The Major League Operations internship includes assisting the Baseball Operations Department with day-to-day assignments, along with long term projects centered on roster management, salary arbitration, transactions, and the economics of baseball. A degree in economics, statistics, or mathematics is preferred, and it is expected that the candidate will be able to demonstrate an interest and understanding of both publically available sabermetrics research and the economics of baseball. Experience in finance or consulting is valued, as well as playing experience at the collegiate or professional level.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage recurring tasks such as updating depth charts, maintaining tracking sheets, and disseminating daily reports
• Ad hoc data analysis projects
• Review of new research from various external analytical sources
• Support with general office work including mailings, guest interaction, document production and filing
• Assist with major baseball events such as the amateur draft and salary arbitration
• Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college or university
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in Economics, Statistics, or Mathematics preferred
• Experience in Finance or Consulting preferred
• Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
• College or professional baseball playing experience preferred
• Available for the entire term of the Internship
• Authorized to work in the United States
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
• Highly motivated and excellent attention to detail
• Demonstrated passion for baseball and baseball operations
• Strong, confident communication skills including the ability to write clearly and effectively
• Ability to use time efficiently
• Proficient in MS Office applications such as Excel and PowerPoint
• Strong analytical skills
• Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction-together.
• Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
• How did you hear about this job?