Intern - Groundscrew
Washington NationalsWashington, DC
This was removed by the employer on 12/16/2022 8:39:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Internships Category
Search for Intern - Groundscrew jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Intern - Groundscrew postings
Part Time Unpaid Internship
The Washington Nationals are seeking qualified individuals for the upcoming 2023 baseball season as groundscrew interns. Nationals Park, home of the Washington Nationals, is located along the banks of the Anacostia River in the Navy Yard neighborhood of Southeast, DC. Opening in 2008, Nationals Park has been the home venue of the Washington Nationals Baseball Club and has also hosted a wide range of non-baseball events.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities for these positions will include, but are not limited to:
• Actively work with full-time staff in all aspects of field preparation for Nationals baseball games, including but not limited to: routine management of mound, plate, and bullpen clay areas; infield clay maintenance; warning track edging, dragging, and moisture management; mowing; hand watering; batting practice setup; and pre and postgame preparations.
• Assist in preparations for all non-baseball events and work non-baseball events as scheduled.
• Assist with a variety of cultural practices throughout the growing season to ensure a safe, high quality playing surface.
• Assist with fertilizer calibrations to ensure safe, accurate, and consistent applications.
• Routine maintenance of infield clay surface, bullpen mounds, homeplate, warning track areas when team is out of town.
• Safely deploy field tarp over the infield during inclement weather when required.
• Exterior Landscape general maintenance (mowing, edging, mulching, weeding, etc.).
• Maintain a clean and professional working environment.
• All other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
• Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student of a Turfgrass Management Program (or related field of study) at an accredited college or university and have completed a minimum of 1 semester or have recently graduated from an accredited college or university.
• Interns are expected to work a minimum of 40 hours per week, including days, nights, weekends, and holidays for Nationals games as well as non-baseball events.
• Interns may also be required to work scheduled overtime associated with Nationals games and non-baseball events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
• Professional appearance and character as well as the ability to work well with co-workers and supervisors.
• Ability to work days, nights, weekends, and holidays for Nationals games and non-baseball events.
• Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
• Because of the physical demands of the job, candidates are expected to be able to walk, run, lift, carry, and transport up to 50 pounds. Candidates should also have the ability to move quickly under rapidly changing, and unpredictable situations.
All applicants for employment at the Washington Nationals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.