Director, Community Relations
Washington NationalsWashington, DC
Full Time Job
Director, Community Relations (Military Affairs)
The Washington Nationals are committed to enhancing the quality of life for citizens in the Washington, D.C. region. Our primary focus is on initiatives that honor military families, encourage youth participation in baseball and softball, and support K-12 education. The Director, Community Relations reports to the Senior Vice President, Community Engagement and contributes to the organization’s community relations mission by leading programs focused on engaging the military community.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Engages new audiences through experiential marketing: creating, developing, and executing programming that extends the Washington Nationals brand and delivers value to the organization as well as corporate, community, and military partners.
• Supports revenue generation by designing and activating outreach elements of partnerships with national and local corporations.
• Serves as primary point of contact for the team’s military outreach.
• Builds and maintains relationships with base, regional, and senior military leadership and support organizations to provide year-round, substantive programming.
• Consistently evaluates and updates the military programming for team’s measured impact and evolving needs of military audiences.
• Oversees the administration, budgetary, and communication planning for the CR department, as well as manages the Community Ticket Grant program.
• Makes public presentations and conducts outreach to grow the initiatives and to publicize in order to enhance potential corporate and community support.
• Works with Major League Baseball to implement league initiatives on the Club level.
• Represents Community Relations interests to internal and external stakeholders.
• Responsible for hiring, training, and managing the departments’ interns.
• Actively supports the Senior Vice President, Community Engagement in managing relations with community partners and organizations.
• Performs any other duties as assigned by the Senior Vice President, Community Engagement.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Minimum of seven to ten years of experience in community programs, experiential marketing, and/or corporate philanthropy.
• Minimum of a four-year Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Sports Management or other closely related field.
• Demonstrated success in relationship building with military organizations, military and veteran service organizations, and other targeted constituents.
• Minimum of four years of experience in a management or supervisory role.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
• Strategic thinker with the ability to problem solve creatively.
• Must be able to work both independently and collaboratively with internal and external partners to develop programming that address outreach goals.
• Leverage partnerships, sponsorships, events, and varied communication channels.
• Assess feedback and data to drive strategic and operational programming and administrative decisions.
• Must have executive presence and experience presenting to and influencing senior leadership.
• Experience working with senior military and business leadership required.
• Exceptional communicator. Highly effective writing and editing skills for all mediums required.
• High character; ability to exercise discretion with confidential matters.
• Proven ability to speak in public and serve as a strong representative for the organization.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize and effectively handle multiple priorities with tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to escalate issues with a sense of urgency and break down barriers to promote new and creative ways to solve problems.
• Demonstrated high energy level.
• Confidence in making sound business decisions, working independently, and outlining next steps.
• Team player with exceptional interpersonal skills; able to communicate with diverse personalities in a tactful, mature, and flexible manner.
• Working knowledge of all Microsoft Office products.
• Working knowledge of sports business and Major League Baseball preferred.
• Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together
• Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Position will require regular weekend and/or evening work. This position is full-time and is not eligible for remote work.
• Gameday Seasonal: Job requires employee to function in a high activity and heavily crowded outdoor professional sports venue. May work at heights. Employee will be exposed to inclement weather of varying degrees. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances, and climb up/down stairs. The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or sit and must lift and/or move up to 45 pounds.