Washington NationalsWashington, DC
This was removed by the employer on 6/14/2021 6:23:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Browse the Sports Category
Search for Associate Counsel jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Associate Counsel postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire an Associate Counsel?
Full Time Job
The Associate Counsel will assist the VP & General Counsel in all matters relating to the legal affairs of the Nationals. This position will be responsible for assisting in the planning, structuring, and daily monitoring of all legal aspects relating to the business of the organization. This position provides legal advice and assistance regarding all aspects of corporate, contract, and general business law to the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Review, prepare and negotiate commercial contracts, technology agreements, software licenses, leases, amendments and extensions that arise in the ordinary course of business, escalating issues as necessary.
• Assist the VP/General Counsel in corporate governance, risk management and compliance matters, immigration matters for uniformed and non-uniformed personnel, litigation management, intellectual property issues, and the handling of legal issues associated with professional sports, facilities management and its related event business.
• Conduct legal research as necessary, and proactively stay abreast of developments in applicable municipal, state, and federal laws. Ensure that the working practices of the Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates are compliant with applicable laws and regulations.
• Assist the company in the course of responding to subpoenas in a timely manner and work with other departments to coordinate the same.
• Provide legal advice to executive and senior management on a broad range of legal matters, commercial contracts, and complex transactions.
• Proven ability to identify emerging risks and trends, analyze and think strategically about complex risk issues and deliver solutions-oriented advice to mitigate or manage such risks.
• Support the Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates with respect to complex venue management and operations matters for large-scale events.
• Promote continual development, optimization and implementation of contracts creation and legal review processes and standards to maximize efficiency.
• Strong negotiation skills and excellent independent analytical judgment.
• Work with outside counsel and other advisors as necessary.
To perform this position successfully, the Associate Counsel should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Writing – Ability to prepare legal and other documents in a clear and concise manner.
• Demonstrates a high attention to detail.
• Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
• Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming. Maintains confidentiality.
• Oral Communication – Ability to deliver information in a simple and effective manner to a variety of audiences. Listens and gets clarification. Responds well to questions.
• Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities. Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
• Professionalism - Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments.
• Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
• Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time. Is sensitive to deadlines and completes asks on time.
• Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
• Initiative - Takes independent actions and calculated risks; asks for and offers help when needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Juris Doctor from an accredited law school;
• Admission to a state bar within the United States (District of Columbia preferred);
• Minimum of 3 years of legal experience as a practicing attorney preferred;
• Specific experience in contract drafting, review and negotiation;
• Specific experience in employment and labor law; intellectual property law; data privacy law and advertising law preferred;
• Experience working in professional baseball and/or other sports leagues or franchises preferred;
• Excellent academic credentials; and
• Strong ability to multi-task.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.