Manager, Social Media
Washington CapitalsArlington, VA
Full Time Job
Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE) located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates six professional sports teams: 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA's Washington Wizards, WNBA's 2019 Champion Washington Mystics, NBA G League's Capital City Go-Go, the 2021 & 2020 NBA 2K League Champion Wizards District Gaming and Caps Gaming, an esports sub-brand of the Capitals. Additionally, it holds a significant investment in a seventh team, Team Liquid, an endemic esports team owned and operated by aXiomatic.
In September 2022, MSE acquired full ownership of NBC Sports Washington from Comcast and NBCUniversal and now holds the exclusive local television media rights to Capitals' and Wizards' games. The integration is underway including extensive renovations to a new, pioneering production and broadcasting space to deliver seamless experiences on linear and digital platforms for fans. Under the terms of the agreement, MSE also acquired Comcast and NBCUniversal's remaining interest in Monumental Sports Network, a first-of-its-kind regional sports network for digital, mobile and over-the-top platforms that launched in 2016.
Monumental Sports owns and operates Capital One Arena (COA), a 20,000 capacity live event venue in Washington, D.C. MSE also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus.
In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in Entertainment & Sports Arena (ESA), in Southeast D.C. on the St. Elizabeth's East campus which opened in September 2018. ESA houses the MedStar Health Performance Center, the training center for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the home of the Mystics and Go-Go.
In July 2020, MSE opened the first ever in-arena sportsbook in North America, through a partnership with then William Hill (now Caesars Entertainment), with a temporary location set-up within the COA lobby. The permanent location for the Caesars Sportsbook by William Hill opened within COA in May 2021.
And in January 2022, MSE announced it would be opening District E, powered by Ticketmaster, in the first quarter of 2023. This flagship venue for esports and entertainment is the largest on the East Coast: a premier, nearly 14,000-square-foot live-event theater offering a 365-day-a-year, series of immersive experiences in esports, music, event programming, and community events – along with pre- and post-event activations for fans attending Capitals and Wizards games or events. This space will entertain hundreds for independent events, offer an extraordinary culinary experience, and will create a best-in-class competition and training venue for the MSE esports franchises which it owns, operates, and invests in.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
• You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
• You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
• You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
• You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
• You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
• You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
• You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: The Manager, Social Media is responsible for assisting in developing, engaging and growing the Washington Capitals' social media platforms, audience, and revenue.
Do you have social media experience and are passionate about developing and crafting exciting content? We would love to hear from you!
• Provide strategy for social platforms operated by the Washington Capitals digital media department.
• Ideate and create social media content including videos, gifs, and graphics.
• Assist in the coordination of the day-to-day social coverage on all platforms.
• Implement content calendar for all social media channels.
• Assist social media strategies for athlete driven social media programs.
• Implement strong internal reporting on social media performance and growth.
• Establish strong social media engagement on all current platforms while researching new opportunities for growth and development.
• Contribute to strategic brainstorming, curation, and content creation.
• Monitor social conversation about the Capitals, athletes, and related topics, in order to provide data and practical insights to relevant internal partners.
• Support the digital partnerships teams on ideation and execution of co-branded campaigns.
• Create a daily presence on social media platforms and tools; posting, reposting, scheduling, responding to comments, and jumping on social trends and topics.
• Provide wall to wall social media coverage for team and league events.
• Elevate coverage of players, marketing initiatives, community programs, and special events while supporting live event content coverage.
• Assist with paid social media opportunities for sales and partnerships.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree.
• 2 years professional experience in social media role.
• 1 years experience managing large and/or global communities.
• Ability to work creatively and efficiently in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
• Knowledgable about NHL players and teams; experience in professional sports is helpful.
• Experienced using social tracking tools for reporting, working with website content management systems, and using social media response tools.
• Ability to effectively balance a diverse workload and complete projects in a timely manner.
• Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
• Strong understanding of Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube, Reddit, TikTok and Instagram, including design, functionality, users, etc.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong content editing and creation skills using Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Illustrator, and others.
• Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.