Washington CapitalsArlington, VA
Full Time Job
Assistant, Communications (Seasonal)
Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE) located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates six professional sports teams: 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA's Washington Wizards, WNBA's 2019 Champion Washington Mystics, NBA G League's Capital City Go-Go, the 2021 & 2020 NBA 2K League Champion Wizards District Gaming and Caps Gaming, an esports sub-brand of the Capitals. Additionally, it holds a significant investment in a seventh team, Team Liquid, an endemic esports team owned and operated by aXiomatic.
In September 2022, MSE acquired full ownership of NBC Sports Washington from Comcast and NBCUniversal and now holds the exclusive local television media rights to Capitals' and Wizards' games. The integration is underway including extensive renovations to a new, pioneering production and broadcasting space to deliver seamless experiences on linear and digital platforms for fans. Under the terms of the agreement, MSE also acquired Comcast and NBCUniversal's remaining interest in Monumental Sports Network, a first-of-its-kind regional sports network for digital, mobile and over-the-top platforms that launched in 2016.
Monumental Sports owns and operates Capital One Arena (COA), a 20,000 capacity live event venue in Washington, D.C. MSE also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus.
In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in Entertainment & Sports Arena (ESA), in Southeast D.C. on the St. Elizabeth's East campus which opened in September 2018. ESA houses the MedStar Health Performance Center, the training center for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the home of the Mystics and Go-Go.
In July 2020, MSE opened the first ever in-arena sportsbook in North America, through a partnership with then William Hill (now Caesars Entertainment), with a temporary location set-up within the COA lobby. The permanent location for the Caesars Sportsbook by William Hill opened within COA in May 2021.
And in January 2022, MSE announced it would be opening District E, powered by Ticketmaster, in the first quarter of 2023. This flagship venue for esports and entertainment is the largest on the East Coast: a premier, nearly 14,000-square-foot live-event theater offering a 365-day-a-year, series of immersive experiences in esports, music, event programming, and community events – along with pre- and post-event activations for fans attending Capitals and Wizards games or events. This space will entertain hundreds for independent events, offer an extraordinary culinary experience, and will create a best-in-class competition and training venue for the MSE esports franchises which it owns, operates, and invests in.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
• You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
• You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
• You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
• You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
• You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
• You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
• You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: The Washington Capitals Seasonal Communications Assistant is responsible for assisting in day-to-day operations of the Communications Department, with a focus on off-ice publicity. This position requires a commitment beginning in August 2023 through the duration of the Capitals' 2023-24 NHL season.
Are you looking to gain valuable public relations experience in professional sports?! We'd love to hear from you!
• Work closely and collaborate with communications staff members to help publicize the team's off-ice and business initiatives.
• Monitor coverage and compile daily media clips.
• Assist with compiling coverage recap reports and additional communications materials.
• Aid in writing press releases and additional editorial content (magazine, game program, graphics) related to off-ice initiatives.
• Shadow and provide support during media opportunities, community public relations appearances, live shots, and other events.
• Help research and build media lists of non-sports contacts.
• Manage off-ice photographs including archiving.
• Support communications staff on select game nights.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Possess a degree or working towards a major in communications, English, journalism, or other related major.
• Dedicated, hard-working, punctual, dependable, self-reliant, resourceful and a great teammate.
• Self-starter who takes the initiative and applies their decision-making abilities.
• Strong writing, editing, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner and balance multiple tasks while working independently or as part of a team.
• Flexibility to work early mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Must be available for all Capitals home games.