Visual Editor / Visual Journalist
This was removed by the employer on 6/17/2021 5:58:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the TV Network Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Visual Editor / Visual Journalist jobs in London-UK
Search all Visual Editor / Visual Journalist postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Visual Editor / Visual Journalist?
Part Time Job
Visual Editor / Visual Journalist, As Equals - CNN - Part-Time - Ftc
Location: United Kingdom - London
As Equals is a cross-platform CNN initiative dedicated to publishing challenging, engaging and sustained coverage of gender inequality globally. We are seeking a Visual Editor who will execute innovative and engaging visual and data journalism that support the mission and vision of As Equals.
At CNN Digital, the way we tell stories is just as important as the stories themselves. Whether it's breaking news, investigative journalism, or enterprise storytelling, our visual journalism breaks down stories for audiences in unique and interesting ways. The diversity of approaches allows us to better inform our audiences with essential and engaging visual storytelling.
As a Visual Editor: You will help pitch, edit, art direct and execute visual storytelling on the digital platforms - You will execute everything from photo illustrations, data visualisations and interactives to emerging storytelling forms like AR motion graphics. The person in this role will work primarily with the As Equals team to help shape visual narratives and coverage, while also collaborating with a team of visual editors and journalists across the organisation. This is a player/coach role, where you'll have ownership over shaping story ideas while also being able to get hands on in building out projects.
We're seeking to hire a person passionate about gender inequality who wants to work with a talented and ambitious team of editors and journalists to deliver impactful, world class reporting and storytelling.
As Equals is financially supported by, but editorially independent from, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The visual editor role is fixed term for 12 months, with a view to extension for the duration of the funding period (until Jan 2024), and will solely focus on As Equals.
This is a part-time role, exact working pattern to be defined, working to an average of 20 hours per week.
The ideal candidate will have a skillset mixed with visual storytelling and data journalism, you can art direct an illustration or photo montage, can execute charts, infographics and maps, and are comfortable working with data sets and following data journalism best practices.
• Identify and pitch visual story ideas
• Partner with other editors and reporters to brainstorm visual coverage ideas and find gaps in current story planning. Plan proactively for major As Equals projects and identify strong visual opportunities
• Assign and edit work by visual reporters and designers
• Edit and execute visually led stories for daily, long form, and breaking news as well as longer term projects, including maps, charts, infographics, animations, and mobile first interactives
• Collaborate with the Visual News team to refine standards and best practices for storytelling forms including data visualisations, mapping, interactives, photography, illustrations, and animations
• Proven experience in a journalistic setting
• You are enthusiastic about excellent visual journalism and can share that enthusiasm with patience and clarity
• A desire to push visual storytelling forward and the ability to think creatively about how we use data in the service of journalism
• You put the journalism first, have impeccable news judgement, and are always asking ''what's the best way to tell this story?''
• A reader-first perspective and strong commitment to multi-platform storytelling
• You're comfortable working collaboratively, individually and with cross-functional teams
• You are an excellent communicator and feel as comfortable walking through a story pitch with editors as you do coaching a developer on an interactive interface.
• We're flexible on your exact skillset as long as you bring curiosity and willingness to learn. But you will ideally have some combination of: Art direction, visual editing experience, illustration, product design, user experience and prototyping skills (Sketch, Adobe XD, Zeplin, ProtoPie, Flinto, Principle etc.).
Our people make WM the inspiring organisation it is today.
At WarnerMedia, our commitment starts with you! As a company of storytellers and journalists we have a responsibility to make sure we have a collection of voices and people whose stories reflect and connect with the global audiences and communities we serve.
WarnerMedia, and its suite of brands like Warner Bros., CNN, HBO Max, HBO, TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang and many more, have long been committed to equity and inclusion as moral and business imperatives. It is essential that our content and creative partners reflect the diversity of our society and the world around us. Together with other production companies, networks, guilds, unions, talent agencies and others in the industry, WarnerMedia is committed to greater inclusion of people of color, women, the LGBTQ community, those with disabilities and other underrepresented groups in greater numbers both in front of and behind the camera
There really has never been a better and more exciting time to join WarnerMedia. For more information on how to join our company and our commitment to diversity and inclusion, please click here.