Technical Manager, Hockey
Full Time Job
Location: United States - Georgia - Atlanta
Turner Sports is the team that delivers sports broadcasts to the WarnerMedia networks like TBS, TNT, and truTV. We are also responsible for operating sites like NCAA.com, NBA.com, and ELEAGUE.com.
This year, Turner Sports and National Hockey League announced a seven-year multimedia rights agreement beginning with the 2021-22 season. Fans will be able to enjoy the Stanley Cup Final and Stanley Cup Playoffs on TNT and TBS for the first time, along with 72 regular season games and the NHL Winter Classic each season. With this new partnership, Turner Sports and Bleacher Report will continue to provide premium content across multiple screens for fans to enjoy.
The team is responsible for both defining and operating live sports related events for multiple sports properties including Bleacher Report, NBA, MLB, NCAA and NHL. These events range from live original content to live game action to alternate productions of live events and are usually distributed through apps, websites and social platforms.
The Technical Manager role will be responsible for gaining and maintaining an understanding of full live video workflows for specific sports events and ownership of ensuring those production's requirements are met and delivered to apps, social platforms and additional distribution channels. This role will be on a supportive team of other experienced professionals with these skills and also with a freelance operations team for operating the events. The majority of the job responsibilities during a year are during normal business hours but sporting events are often on nights and weekends so some support of non-business hours is required.
• Gain and maintain a progressive understanding of the full live video digital workflows for digital sports content and be able to assess technical feasibility, make recommendations on technical video workflows from video content acquisition through event operations and delivery to the consumer
• Attend production meetings & ideation sessions
• Develop standard operating procedures and other documentation for stream operations team
• Plan and participate in rehearsals, as needed
• Gather and send production documents prior to event, including but not limited to: run of show, call sheet, social pushing creative and copy, tech books, escalation plan, etc.
• Gather and implement social elements for appropriate distribution channels (YouTube, Twitter, WSC)
• Work with content team on acquisition pathing.
• On-call escalation for live events
• Own and follow up on any issues encountered during live events
• Minimum of four years of experience in live video environments in either linear TV or digital technologies
• Ability to work in a team, either as a member, or alone
• Strong leadership skills with the ability to execute and manage a project or operational plan from start to finish
• Ability to perform root cause analysis of basic issues and to adapt to constantly changing technology with potentially conflicting priorities
• Proficiency on PCs and/or Mac
• Aptitude for learning new technologies, specifically around live video.
• Experience establishing systems and procedures for repeatable operations
• A general curiosity about how things work and proven track record of figuring them out
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.