Staff Data Engineer - HBO Max
Full Time Job
Staff Data Engineer (Data Platform Engineering) - HBO Max
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
We have created a new Data Insights and Operations (DIO) group within HBOMAX Direct-To-Consumer Organization to make the streaming products more data-driven. This team is looking to hire a motivated Staff Data Engineer who will be working closely with team of highly motivated data engineers to build a state-of-the-art data platform to solve various data-driven use cases across the organization. This platform will host various data products such as but not limited to, Subscription, Content, and Product Analytics, Personalization and Recommendation, Marketing & Ad-Sales enablement. You will be charged with building a new core data platform in the cloud - handles both streaming and batch data processing, capable of solving any big data initiatives in scope now or evolve in future as well. You will be helping data engineers, analysts, and scientists perform their functions by building highly scalable capabilities across the platform.
This individual will bring in his/her expertise in a wide variety of big data processing frameworks (both open source and proprietary), large scale database systems (OLAP and OLTP), stream data processing, API Development, Machine learning operationalization, and cloud automation to build and support all the data needs across HBOMAX platform.
• Take lead role in translating various business requirements in to engineering architecture.
• Design and develop the data platform to efficiently and cost effectively address various data needs across the business.
• Build software across our entire cutting-edge data platform, including event driven data processing, storage, and serving through scalable and highly available APIs, with awesome cutting-edge technologies.
• Change how we think, act, and utilize our data by performing exploratory and quantitative analytics, data mining, and discovery.
• Think of new ways to help make our data platform more scalable, resilient and reliable and then work across our team to put your ideas into action.
• Ensure performance of the product by implementing and refining robust data processing, REST services and caching technologies.
• Help us stay ahead of the curve by working closely with data architects, stream processing specialists, API developers, our DevOps team, and analysts to design systems which can scale elastically in ways which make other groups jealous.
• Work closely with data analysts and business stake holders to make data easily accessible and understandable to them.
• Ensure data quality by implementing re-usable data quality frameworks.
• Work closely with various other data engineering teams to roll out new capabilities.
• Help build and maintain foundational data products such as but not limited to Various conformed datasets, Consumer 360, data marts etc.
• Build process and tools to maintain Machine Learning pipelines in production.
• Develop and enforce data engineering, security, data quality standards through automation.
• Participate in supporting the platform 24X7.
• Be passionate about growing team - hire and mentor engineers and analysts.
• Be responsible for cloud cost and improving efficiency.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or Similar discipline.
• 8 years of experience in software engineering
• 3 years of experience in data engineering.
• Go above and beyond attitude.
• Ability to work in fast paced, high pressure, agile environment.
• Ability and willingness to learn any new technologies and apply them at work in order to stay ahead of the curve.
• Expertise in at least few programming languages - Java, Scala, Python or similar.
• Expertise in building and managing large volume data processing (both streaming and batch) platform is a must.
• Expertise in stream processing systems such as Kafka, Kinesis, Pulsar or Similar
• Expertise in building micro services and managing containerized deployments, preferably using Kubernetes
• Expertise in distributed data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark, Flink or Similar.
• Expertise in SQL and No-SQL – Apache Cassandra, DynamoDB, MySQL
• Expertise in OLAP databases such as Snowflake or Redshift.
• Experience in operationalizing and scaling machine models is a huge plus.
• Experience with variety of data Tools & frameworks (example: Apache Airflow, Druid) will be a huge plus.
• Experience with Analytics Tools such as Looker, Tableau is preferred.
• Cloud (AWS) experience is preferred
• Ability to learn and teach new languages and frameworks.
• Direct to consumer digital business experience preferred
• Advertising Tech domain expertise will be a huge plus.
• Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
• Strong team focus with outstanding organizational and resource management skills
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.