Sr. Manager, Product Analytics - CNN
WarnerMediaLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Location: United States - California - Los Angeles, United States - California - San Francisco, United States - New York - New York
CNN invented cable news in 1980, defined online news in 1995 and is now taking the next step in expanding what news can be by launching CNN . With an unrivaled global reach, storytelling, and world class talent, we are building CNN , a streaming product that will grow the reach and scope of the CNN brand in a way that no one else is doing.
We are journalists, designers and technologists, all united by a powerful mission to inform, engage and empower the world. Join the most trusted and recognized name in news as we build our next chapter.
CNN is the world's most essential and engaging source of video and digital news. We're embarking on a crucial mission to invent the next generation of news and information experiences online to inform, engage, and empower the world. Underlying our aspiration is the belief that human-centered technologies can serve our consumers well-being while maintaining our journalistic values. We are taking a human-led, data-informed approach to build products that sparks connections, fulfills utility, and builds community.
CNN's emerging products and product analytics teams are at the forefront of pursuing CNN's mission. Our Emerging Products team is responsible for building these next-generation products, with an eye toward identifying direct-to-consumer paid experiences. Our product analytics team is responsible for grounding emerging product development with a deep understanding of consumer behavior. This collaboration ensures we make impactful and scalable product decisions to grow a healthy, active user base.
We will achieve our vision through engaging and empowering a diverse set of multi-disciplinary talent. We seek individuals who have a combination of online consumer product expertise, data literacy, and a growth mindset. We also seek individuals who value collaboration and can align team members to increase our speed and scale. Finally, we seek individuals who share our passion for building trusted new digital products, platforms, and formats that put CNN's talent, expertise, and content programming - and the directions it goes next - directly in the hands of consumers.
We are seeking a Sr Manager to join our Product Analytics team. This individual will be fully 'embedded' into our cross-functional Emerging Platform product team, playing a vital integrator role among multiple CNN teams. They will empower the Emerging Platform team members with the tools and insights they need to ensure product-market fit and grow active users. Core areas of focus and outcomes include:
• Measurement Framework. Lead the definition, implementation, and adoption of product metrics and self-serve analytics tools.
• Exploratory Analysis. Perform user data exploration and modeling to establish causal links between product behaviors and long-term user engagement and retention.
• Insights Experiments. Design and interpret statistical experiments that validate positive user behavior with new or existing product features.
This is a collaborative role. You'll work to accomplish objectives with cross-functional teams and peers, including product managers, revenue, content and design strategists, engineering, consumer science, and research. You'll lead through influence to challenge assumptions in favor of building and maturing a data-driven, insightful culture that has the insights it needs to make informed decisions fast and deliver impactful experiences.
of this role include:
• Serve as central point-of-contact for product analytics on the Emerging Platform team, connecting product, design, engineering, consumer science, and research teams
• Develop metrics for web and mobile app KPI tracking, including the definition of new user events required for monitoring and instrumentation
• Conduct detailed analyses such as identifying user cohorts and feature driver analysis to create tangible insights that inform product strategy and plans.
• Effectively form and communicate product recommendations based on user data analysis to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences.
• Operationalize access to data, dashboards, and critical insights - and conduct training to empower teams to self-serve the data and dashboards they need.
• Build proactive relationships with peers and cross-functional teams in the company so you understand the relevant questions and needs of the business and use that to advise your analysis
• Manage and evangelize the design, execution, and analysis of A/B/N testing programs and the use of different statistical methods and best practices
• Partner with data platform and engineering team to continually interrogate the tools, methods, and processes supporting analysis to optimize the cost and function of our tech stack
Desired Experience & Characteristics:
• 8 years' experience working on or with cross-functional product teams, preferably within online direct-to-consumer (DTC) organizations
• 5 years of data analyst or data science experience, including strong statistical and data modeling skills (examples: SQL, R, Python), hands-on analysis, and data wrangling from complex data sets
• 3 years' experience implementing and supporting self-serve product analytics and visualization tools (examples: MixPanel, Amplitude, Looker, etc.)
• Strong domain knowledge of interrogating the end-to-end consumer journey, including demonstrated ability to partner with Product Leaders (to form questions and design supporting analysis)
• Demonstrated ability to manipulate, analyze, and interpret large amounts of data, organize findings, and translate into actionable insights
• A quick learner can work independently in a matrixed environment, adaptability and a strong self-teaching ethic
• Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, and agile environment that can pivot quickly to capture opportunities from the users and business's changing needs.
• Outstanding organizational, interpersonal (ability to influence without hierarchy) and communication skills
• Academic background in quantitative field such as mathematics, statistics, physics, computer science, or engineering a plus
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.