Sr. Manager, Communications
Full Time Job
Sr. Manager, Communications, Hockey
Location: United States - Georgia - Atlanta
This year, Turner Sports and National Hockey League announced a seven-year multimedia rights agreement beginning with the 2021-22 season. Fans will be able to enjoy the Stanley Cup Final and Stanley Cup Playoffs on TNT and TBS for the first time, along with 72 regular season games and the NHL Winter Classic each season. With this new partnership, Turner Sports and Bleacher Report will continue to provide premium content across multiple screens for fans to enjoy.
Turner Sports is expanding its communications department with a new role that will lead day-to-day publicity and communications initiatives for hockey across the organization. This person will work closely with communications teammates and internal & external partners to manage the development and implementation of strategies with the goal of advancing exposure and awareness for Turner Sports' NHL content with key stakeholders including reporters, fans and colleagues.
The qualified individual will be based in Atlanta and will report directly to the Director of Business Communications, Turner Sports. With the NHL being a new property joining the Turner Sports family, this person's work will have a high level of visibility across the organization and with the senior management team. As such, this position requires a progressive thinker and mature self-starter who can partner with multiple cross-functional teams to drive a creative and expansive strategy capitalizing on stories that elevate talent, executives and the people in front of and behind the camera.
While the day-to-day lead for hockey, this role will also be supporting other league properties as needed throughout the year, providing opportunities for growth and exposure within the organization.
• Strong ability to develop messaging strategy, execute media relations programs and manage communications for Turner Sports' NHL content. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Engage with Turner Sports leaders across talent, production, programming, marketing, corporate and other key functions, as well as the Turner Sports communications team, to develop communications plans that support the overall needs of the business as it relates to hockey.
• Advise various stakeholders on media strategy, messaging and outreach, along with methods to obtain coverage and achieve/enhance efforts.
• Develop a holistic approach to communications that strategically combines the highest impact use of social, press and speaking engagements.
• Build deep relationships with hockey and sports media reporters/media outlets, influencers and other external stakeholders.
• Strong understanding of the different roles and values of media relations, executive communications and internal communications, as well as the ability to combine these effectively as part of an integrated team and strategy.
• Work closely with the brand communications partners in developing plans supporting publicity activities, including a growing number of fan-centric events, openings, VIP handling, consumer media relations, trade media relations, crisis communications, employee/internal communications, etc., to create maximum awareness of Turner Sports' hockey business.
• Exceptional writer who will direct the drafting of press releases, media advisories, social posts and other internal & external communications in support of Turner Sports.
• Collaborate with a variety of internal teams on external communications including, but not limited to, social media, company websites, events and more.
• Collaborate with communications teams across WarnerMedia divisions.
• Work closely with the Director of Business Communications, Turner Sports, to develop and assure up-to-date and consistent dissemination of the company's key messages as they related to the hockey business.
• Oversee press events, stay abreast of new technology and develop new ideas to reach audiences and influencers via the press and engage with the public overall across a wide spectrum of social platforms.
• 7 years of experience in communications; experience in hockey media certainly a plus, but not required.
• Experience executing media campaigns, building relationships with media and working with executives; solid understanding of social, digital and sports media.
• Experience working within the technology, media, social or sports industries.
• Able to thrive within an organization committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Bachelor's Degree required
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.