Senior Editor, Issues and Explanatory
Full Time Job
Location: United States - District of Columbia - Washington
The news cycle is moving faster than ever before, and CNN's audiences are looking for reliable, readable journalism that explains complex issues and helps them understand how those issues will affect their daily lives.
The senior editor for issues and explanatory journalism will shape and sharpen our explanatory journalism across beats and platforms through text stories as well as interactive tools like annotations and calculators. Along with leading CNN Digital's core policy team and editing the daily What Matters newsletter, this editor will work closely with our newsgathering partners as well as with the National, Breaking News, Visual and Business digital teams to cover the impact of economic policy, health care, student loans and other key issues for our readers.
The mission will be to create distinctive work that emphasizes the best of CNN's DNA: Urgency. Essential, global ''Go There'' reporting. Facts backed by data. Journalism that holds power to account. Stories that connect dots and explain consequences. Creative thinking about how to best serve audiences.
• You will be responsible for overseeing a team of three writers as well as an associate producer who supports production, programming, and promotion for our digital explanatory work across beats.
• The preferred candidate is focused on educating readers, is exceptionally well-organized and is dedicated to fostering collaboration. Testing innovative approaches to connecting with readers and collaborating with units beyond CNN Politics will be welcomed and encouraged.
• Daily tasks will include editing policy stories and explanatory work, including the What Matters newsletter, as well partnering with other beat editors, newsgathering partners and other CNN platforms to broaden our explanatory coverage.
• College degree preferred
• 8 years of editorial experience
• Familiarity with editorial planning and digital production
• Ability to escalate problems and roadblocks as they occur
• Good writing and storytelling skills
• Clear understanding of how to write and frame stories for a digital audience
• Ability to collaborate across teams to produce content, brainstorm ideas and explain complicated issues
• Ability to drive content into new mediums, which could include newsletters, podcasts, etc
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.