Senior Artist / Animator
Full Time Job
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Every great story has a new beginning. We're excited to announce that Discovery and WarnerMedia have combined to become Warner Bros. Discovery. WBD is a premier global media and entertainment company offering audiences the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, sports, news, streaming and gaming. We're home to the world's best storytellers, creating world-class products for consumers. From brilliant creatives to technology trailblazers and beyond, join us as we step into the next chapter.
The creative team that brought Mortal Kombat and Injustice to life is now NetherRealm Studios, part of the Warner Bros. Games family. With over 20 years of creation under our belts, NetherRealm's mission remains the same: to create cutting edge entertainment and deliver industry leading tech, game art and overall gaming experiences. NetherRealm Studios is a collaborative and creative environment, constantly striving to up the ante on what is possible in interactive entertainment. Our team is comprised of dedicated professionals with years of experience who are at the forefront of the gaming industry. The passion and energy that made Mortal Kombat a reality is still on display every day in our offices, our hallways and most definitely the studio's arcade room.
Netherrealm Studios, a division of WB Games Inc., seeks a Senior Animator to work closely with the animation director to maintain and create high quality animations for both gameplay and real time in game cinematics. Assist the Animation Director and Animation Team in defining our processes, pipelines, and aesthetic goals.
• Responsible for animating 3D character models in a realistic game, including working with motion capture data, hand key frame animations.
• Directly support R&D efforts for tools enhancements and prototyping of new technology.
• Work closely with other animators to define the animation direction and support other animator with reviews, feedback, and mentorships.
• Work with engineers and designers to prototype new game features.
• Senior Animator must constantly exercise discretionary aesthetic ''look and feel'' decisions during the creation of specific game art assets. They must rely on their own judgment of motion, physics, function, and the general ''fit'' of the animation assets within the game environment.
• In the day to day working within the core team artists will be required to make a myriad of small decisions that will ultimately get filtered through the rest of the team but are not required to immediately go through their superior.
• Performs most job-related duties with minimal supervision.
• Takes action to resolve issues within scope of normal responsibilities and solve moderately complex problems.
• Must have shipped at least one game in a senior or higher animation position.
• 3+ years game industry experience or related entertainment industry experience.
• Additional Minimum 3 years of complex relevant experience within animation.
• Brings high level of artistic / animation accomplishment to the solution of artistic problems.
• Proven Key Framing Knowledge and Skill set.
• Worked with Motion Capture Data.
• Minimum of 2-year 2D/3D art degree with an emphasis in character keyframe animation or equivalent work experience.
• Typically has participated in all phases of full-cycle game development, Shipping at least one title as a senior or higher animation position.
• Passion for pushing the envelope of interactive character animation.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Ability to give and take direction well.
• Familiar with some kind of Animation system.
• Must be proficient in Motion Builder and Maya.
• Must have a decent understanding of Python.
• Takes initiative in pursuing new assignments. May pursue new assignments and identify tasks.
• A portfolio/reel demonstrating proficiency in Animation is required.
• Strong technical problem solving skills.
• Ability to learn new tools quickly.
• Highly organized. Ability to multitask and manage multiple tasks and priorities.
• Strong interest in Video Games, storytelling and Movies.
Nice To Haves
• Advanced Python skills.
• Familiar with the Unreal Engine.
• Acting background/experience.
• Technical animation experience.
• Facial Animation experience.
• Experience in developing martial arts fighting games.
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.