Full Time Job
Location: Spain - Madrid
WarnerMedia has an opportunity for a junior lawyer to join the team in Madrid. The Legal Coordinator will support two areas: 1) Original Programming, HBO Europe and 2) Local Film Production, Warner Bros.
Regarding Original Programming, the work will focus on the original production activities of HBO Europe in Spain. The work will relate primarily to the development and production of audiovisual programs, including dramas, documentaries and others. The Legal Coordinator will work closely with the original programming team to ensure first-class legal support.
Regarding Local Film Production, the work will involve liaising both with local outside counsel, the local team in production/finance/creative and the team in London to provide legal support for the development, co-production and distribution of theatrical Spanish titles for Warner Bros. Entertainment España.
For Original Programming:
• Drafting, negotiation and review of a variety of agreements related to day-to-day production work, including development agreements, services agreements of screenwriters, directors, actors, crew, locations and suppliers.
• Day-to-day monitoring of ongoing productions, including contact with production companies.
• Clearance work, including reviewing scripts, rough cuts and advising on the clearance of intellectual property included in programs.
• Presentation of summaries and reports on diverse legal matters, including research of doctrine and court decisions (copyright, image rights, data protection, etc.) and reviewing underlying rights and chain of title agreements.
• Assistance in the preparation and updating of templates and processes.
• Document management, tracking of contracts, spreadsheets and other paperwork, as well as other administrative tasks.
For Local Theatrical Production:
• Reviewing agreements for development, writer agreements, actor agreements, financing /licensing agreements and licenses relating to the clearance of third party material.
• Collating and managing transaction documents relating to film development, production, distribution and finance, to ensure conditions for financing and for delivery are met – providing status updates to the local and London teams.
• Assisting with day to day queries relating to rights, restrictions and approvals relating to local production films and escalating matters as required.
• Providing day to day administrative assistance to the local team including filing in a central legal directory, chasing up contracts/outstanding matters where appropriate.
• Managing and auditing chain of title documentation relating to development and production projects.
• Undertaking research on legal issues.
• Keeping a record of the progress of the development and production projects.
• Attending calls with the local production legal team.
• The role will involve working partly in the Warner offices and partly in the HBO offices, but with the work to be undertaken over the week on a 50/50 basis.
• University Degree in Law from an internationally recognized university.
• Ideally a Master's Degree in Intellectual Property.
• Ability to work fluently in both English and Spanish.
• At least 1-2 years of media sector experience gained in-house or in a media focused practice.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
• Detail oriented, analytic, organized and committed to provide high-quality work.
• Concise oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to process information and summarize complex matters, including ability to work with numbers and financial documentation.
• Hard-working lawyer with a passion for television drama
• Friendly and with an affinity for working collaboratively and learning from others.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced production environment.
Our people make WM the inspiring organisation it is today.
At WarnerMedia, our commitment starts with you! As a company of storytellers and journalists we have a responsibility to make sure we have a collection of voices and people whose stories reflect and connect with the global audiences and communities we serve.
WarnerMedia, and its suite of brands like Warner Bros., CNN, HBO Max, HBO, TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang and many more, have long been committed to equity and inclusion as moral and business imperatives. It is essential that our content and creative partners reflect the diversity of our society and the world around us. Together with other production companies, networks, guilds, unions, talent agencies and others in the industry, WarnerMedia is committed to greater inclusion of people of color, women, the LGBTQ community, those with disabilities and other underrepresented groups in greater numbers both in front of and behind the camera
There really has never been a better and more exciting time to join WarnerMedia. For more information on how to join our company and our commitment to diversity and inclusion, please click here.