News Editor, Southeast Bureau
Full Time Job
Location: United States - Georgia - Atlanta
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
This is our storyWe are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.See what it's like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
CNN Southeast is looking for an experienced journalist with strong newsgathering abilities and leadership skills who will work in collaboration with our field teams and National Desk to gather news and reporting and to disseminate reporting and information company-wide.
The News Editor, Southeast Bureau is responsible for driving editorial news coverage for the Southeast region for CNN. In this key role the News Editor, Southeast Bureau will work in coordination with the National Desk ensuring that CNN's multi-platform reporting efforts are accurate, urgent, and presented with clarity and context. This includes coordination with regional bureaus and field teams to make sure editorial priorities are being addressed and disseminated to CNN platforms. Also, the News Editor, Southeast Bureau will work with the Southeast Director of Coverage in the day-to-day planning process working hand-in-hand with the enterprise team to make sure the right staff/resources are being assigned to the right stories.
• The News Editor will work closely with the VP, News and Director of Coverage for CNN Southeast region to manage news stories and coverage efforts for all CNN platforms
• The News Editor should be a collaborative, team player who can clearly and succinctly distill news and disseminate information across various news platforms. You'll be responsible for pushing the editorial envelope on stories that help CNN distinguish itself from our competition.
• As a leader in the Southeast region, the News Editor should be able to distinguish stories that meet CNN's journalistic standards and newsgathering via traditional methods as well as social media.
• This position will act as a liaison between the Southeast Bureau and the National Desk and work with the National Desk to identify and prioritize regional stories and newsgathering.
• Responsible for coordinating, developing and implementing plan for breaking news coverage and other major stories.
• An established writer, this staffer can create content for both internal consumption and external publishing on all CNN platforms.
• The News Editor needs to support reporter and producer teams reporting from a bureau or the field and clearly communicate editorial and logistics information between team, digital newsgathering and shows.
• BA/BS in Journalism, Television-Film Production, Communications, or related discipline is preferred.
• 4-6 years' experience in a news environment at a major network/local station and experience of managing a staff preferred.
• Previous newsroom experience.
• Newsgathering in social media outlets.
• 1 year experience TV/digital writing experience preferred.
• Previous Assignment Desk experience.
• Strong general news judgment and editorial skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Understanding of CNN newsgathering.
• Ability to multi-task and work under pressure and quick deadlines
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.