Editor, CNN Digital
WarnerMediaNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Editor, CNN Digital (5 Things newsletter)
Location: United States - New York - New York
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Our StoryWe are CNN. THE WORLD'S MOST ESSENTIAL AND ENGAGING SOURCE OF DIGITAL NEWS. We are in the midst of rapid transformation and need you to help us find the next generation of innovators, makers, and dreamers who will lead and drive our growth. We aim to make the world a better, more connected place. Join us!
WarnerMedia seeks an Editor for the Entertainment & Culture department.
This role will edit and shape CNN's flagship newsletter, 5 Things. This is a best in class shaper and sharpener of stories and ideas. A true partner with writers and assignment editors who make good writing great. The 5 Things editor's priority is editing the newsletter writers on deadline to make sure we are accurately, timely and relevant and that our writing is conversational and accessible. As a newsletter editor you must be well read on the top stories around the world and have the ability to sum up all the best bits in a way that is smart, but not too stuffy, contextual, but not too wordy. News editors are multi-skilled and talented in that they know how to edit as an editor and read as a reader. They understand the importance of helping audiences catch up on the top stories of the day from high-priority breaking news to the cultural and social moments that have everyone talking. The 5 Things editors are part of our Culture team, a group of storytellers who create vibrant, engaging stories using writing that provokes and visuals that awe. Team members must be equally at home editing step-back pieces about Beyoncé or explainers about the pandemic, for example. We are looking for an editor who understands the zeitgeists, the cultural juggernauts and the of-the-moment moods of our wide world, and who can edit and shape those stories with authority and accessibility.
• Editing the 5 Things newsletter is an early morning gig with lightning-fast deadlines.
• You must be great at getting up to speed quickly on complicated news developments.
• You must be skilled at summing up the most relevant and interesting elements in a conversational writing style for a devoted audience looking for a smart, easy way to catch up before starting their day.
• You must be able to quickly grasp the conversational writing style of the newsletter and be the gatekeeper on accuracy, style, tone and news judgment.
• You will be a collaborative partner with our 5 Things writers, editing their work and keeping track of audience feedback.
• This role will also contribute to other CNN Digital products, such as our Good Stuff newsletter and our CNN news quizzes.
• You may occasionally contribute to live news blogs or special features.
• All Digital editors handle stories from a wide range of sources including: news writers and other contributors across CNN Digital, worldwide.
• 4 years of relevant experience
• College Degree preferred
• Must be an excellent communicator and demonstrate the ability to provide constructive feedback that elevates CNN's storytelling across a wide range of digital platforms
• Demonstrate a high pace of activity and a deep curiosity about current events
• Must be able to edit accurately under intense deadlines
• Demonstrate the ability to coach writers to use a conversational writing style
• Must possess solid news judgment and an obsessive devotion to accuracy
• Must have a command of grammar and style
• Must have the ability to make complicated editorial decisions
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.