This was removed by the employer on 1/24/2023 9:04:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Exhibition & Distribution Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Search for Distribution Operator jobs in London-UK
Search all Distribution Operator postings
Full Time Job
Location: London, United Kingdom
As Discovery Inc’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known.
GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-tv, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
The position is a shift based role working as part of unified “virtual” teams that will consist of members from multiple disciplines (Distribution Operations, Network Operations, Enterprise Platform Operations, Digital Platform Support Operations and Security Operations) to form a dynamic technology focused team.
Reporting to a Duty Operations Manager, this position is critical in monitoring and supporting Discovery’s Global television distribution infrastructure and supporting our Live Events output.
• Monitoring all of Discovery’s channels without our global distribution networks
• Handle the necessary switching of transmission systems during normal or emergency conditions, to ensure that all services remain on the air.
• Provide input and issue written reports to various factions of the Global Technology & Operations groups about transmission system reliability.
• Routinely check all physical plant remote alarms in the teleport shelter and remote co-located equipment areas including but not limited to HPA systems, uplink chains, local receive equipment, and facility wide support systems.
• Monitor the health of every on-air and backup system confirming all Discovery Networks are operational and operating within proper performance specifications
• Manage and control local and national fiberconnectivity between DCI facilities and remote locations throughout the world.
• Coordinate ad hoc programming and live events from multiple locations. Interface and manage external satellite teleport vendors when required.
• Perform on-site quality control and proof of performance testing of ad hoc programs and full-time services.
• Strengthen management of key transmission related initiatives within Discovery
• Assist with training, coaching and development of Distribution Staff Members as needed.
Coordinate escalation process to third party suppliers and ensure SLAs are met and adhered to and risk mitigated.
• Outage vetting – initiating of critical outage situations
• Severity 1, 2, and 3 outage notifications/updates/resolutions
• Monitor Discovery’s production network in real-time
• Implement or assist with implementation of changes to distribution infrastructure
• Perform escalation resolution of systems accounts for Active Directory, 0365, and numerous
• Work closely with other Technology Operations and Distribution staff to ensure success of daily operations
• Provide a seamless and professional experience in supporting remote and regional customers
• Coordinate escalation process to third-party vendor
• Uphold professional ticket management from the get-go for the benefit of the rest of the global support teams by ensuring all ticket types are logged, work logs comprehensively updated and then carefully manage routing to ensure resolution
• Maintain on-going communication with customers, keeping them up-to-date with the progress of their tickets
• Serve as a liaison between other support teams and the customer as required by working collaboratively across all leadership levels
• Provide support to the Duty Operations Manager in the management of outages as needed, providing communications to small and large-scale user groups.
• Ability to embrace and support new technologies introduced first hand to Distribution and IT
• Create and update documentation and procedures
• Keep Knowledge Base(s) up-to-date
• Working knowledge of C-band RF experience along with a familiarity with Arris and Cisco encoding systems
• Working experience with Television Distribution Systems – fibre and satellite based, as well as Satellite minitoring and control systems
• Specific experience and expertise in troubleshooting and correcting signal quality issues, signal routing, systems integration and maintenance and use of Video, Audio, RF and Transport Stream Analysis equipment is required.
• Have working knowledge of MPEG-2/4 encoding technology, encryption/ authorization technology and TVRO receive systems, with specific experience with Arris DCII, Arris Modular, and Cisco Power VU systems.
• Have a basic knowledge of architectural, mechanical, and electrical systems and their interaction with the distribution equipment.
• Overnight, weekend, holidays and rotating shifts are required as this is a 365/24/7 mission critical position to support the distribution reliability of Discovery Communications services.
This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager
• Be able to communicate technical matters to technical and non-technical audiences
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Must be able to independently research, troubleshoot, and resolve trouble tickets within established Service Level Agreements