Director, Data Analytics & Platform
WarnerMediaNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Location: United States - New York - New York
CNN is the world's most essential and engaging source of video and digital news. We're embarking on a crucial mission to invent the next generation of news and information experiences online to inform, engage, and empower the world. Underlying our aspiration is the belief that human-centered technologies can serve our consumers well-being while maintaining our journalistic values. We are taking a human-led, data-informed approach to build consumer products that sparks connections, fulfills utility, and builds community.
Data and analytics are central to CNN's ability to understand, engage, and build loyalty with our consumers. Our data & analytics platform team is responsible for the capture, transformation, and accessibility of all of CNN 1st party data. Key initiatives include the development and management of CNN's enterprise data warehouse and integration with data analytics and visualization tools. Data & analytics platform supports multiple functional stakeholder groups such as product, research, digital marketing, and business analytics. The team works closely with a team of analysts in order to automate and streamline data workflows. Success of the data engineering team is measured by the volume and quality of data consumed across the enterprise (and ultimately the speed and accuracy of decisions made using this data).
Our data team is made up of a diverse set of highly motivated multi-disciplinary team members capable of leading organizational transformation. We seek individuals who have a passionate knowledge of data analytics, online consumer expertise, and an iterative growth mindset. We value individuals who value collaboration and can quickly align with a broad set of CNN stakeholders to accelerate the speed and scale of our data initiatives. If you share a passion for enabling data to build the world's next most trusted digital news products - please read on and come join our team!
We are seeking a Director, Data & Analytics Platform within CNN's Product & Technology team. They have the primary responsibility of leading data warehousing and analytics, overseeing all activities and ensuring alignment with the CNN vision and objectives. This leader will organize and assemble resources and technology to address the current and future analytics needs of the business.
The Director, Data & Analytics Platform also understands that information and data are key business asset and operationalizes the application of data and information in order to deliver optimal performance for all CNN functional teams. This role will provide leadership for all CNN data programs participating in various leadership committees as necessary to influence data capabilities and competencies within the CNN's business.
• Defines and owns the objectives, roadmap, and prioritization of the data & analytics platform.
• Provides thought leadership and acts as a subject matter expert in the designing and recommending of appropriate analytical approaches and data methodology.
• Leads the data analytics and engineering teams in research, development, and implementation of appropriate data systems.
• Co-leads measurement framework development and defines the KPIs (alongside senior data and analytics leadership).
• Helps drive data culture and promoting data-driven decision-making, consumer-driven analytics, marketing, and business planning across the business.
• Builds and evangelizes internal profile of data and analytics stories and spreading them across the business (why data work is important, the insights revealed by data analytics, and actions that should follow the data analyses).
• Plays a key mentorship role to data product managers, analysts, and data engineers ensuring constant improvement in their professional skills, guiding in the execution of their duties.
• Determines the adoption of suitable modular tool-sets that drive innovation and create an advantage for CNN functional stakeholders.
• Supports functional leaders in making strategic, data-driven decisions, in regard to new products, additional use cases, customer segments, investments, among other subjects.
• Builds, maintains, and improves the existing business intelligence and analytics tools across the department and across the business.
• Stays informed and keeps up with the latest industry trends and best practices to inform data warehousing and data analytics personnel.
• 10 years of working experience in a data analytics or data warehousing team, preferably working as a Head of Data or Analytics services.
• 5 years of management experience, with demonstrated ability to manage, mentor, and lead a team.
• 5 years of demonstrated experience in business process analysis, data architecture design and development as well as the implementation of data workflow enabled enterprise solutions.
• 5 years' experience working with large data-sets and cloud-based enterprise data warehouse computing systems (Hadoop, Spark, Data Lakes, NoSQL, etc).
• Successful experience bringing together diverse functions and building teams that include data engineering and analysts, guiding them through successful data analytic projects.
• Strong knowledge or experience of the online direct-to-consumer domain. Outstanding organizational, interpersonal (ability to influence without hierarchy) and communication skills.
• Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, and agile environment that can pivot quickly to capture opportunities from the consumers and business's changing needs.
• A quick learner who can work independently in a matrixed environment, adaptability and a strong self-teaching ethic.
• Academic background in a quantitative field, preferably holds a Master's degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, or any other related field (An equivalent of the same in working experience is also acceptable for the position).
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.