VP, Business & Legal Affairs - Warner Music Group
Warner Music GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
VP, Business & Legal Affairs - Warner Music Group
With a legacy extending back over 200 years, Warner Music Group (WMG) today brings together artists, songwriters and entrepreneurs that are moving entertainment culture across the globe. Operating in more than 70 countries through a network of affiliates and licensees, WMG's Recorded Music division includes renowned labels such as Asylum, Atlantic, Big Beat, Canvasback, Elektra, Erato, First Night, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Reprise, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Spinnin', Warner Records, Warner Classics and Warner Music Nashville. WMG's music publishing arm, Warner Chappell Music, has a catalog of more than 1.4 million musical compositions spanning every musical genre, from the standards of the Great American Songbook to the biggest hits of the 21st century. Warner Music Group is also home to WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic), the pioneering distribution and marketing network, and ADA, the independent artist and label services company, as well as consumer brands such as Songkick the live music app, EMP the merchandise e-tailer, and UPROXX the youth culture destination.
A little bit about our team: The Warner Music Group Corporate Legal team works closely with the other Corporate functions such as Finance, HR, Corporate Communications, Business Development, Global Technology, GDO and also with the Business and Legal Affairs teams within Warner Recorded Music and Warner Chappell Music. It includes specialized legal functions such as litigation, M&A, employment/benefits, securities, trademarks, data privacy, records management, digital legal affairs and compliance.
Why this could be your next big break: This role will negotiate and draft recorded music deals for Warner Recorded Music which are not attached to a particular record label. The position reports to the EVP & General Counsel, Warner Music Group.
Here you'll get to:
• Structure, negotiate, draft and review a wide variety of complex recorded music deals including recording agreements, label deals, profit-split deals, soundtrack agreements, exclusive producer agreements, distribution agreements and various types of licenses
• Liaise with all other departments within Warner Music Group to answer questions and ensure compliance with contractual and legal obligations
• Review artwork, audiovisual materials and marketing materials to determine potential legal issues and assess the possible risks associated with their distribution; supervise clearance process
• Provide advice to Audit and Finance departments on contractual interpretation and audit strategy; negotiate and draft final settlements
• Review royalty statements to ensure accuracy
• Manage claims as necessary
Rockstar candidates will have:
• J.D. and authorization to practice law in New York
• Minimum of five years of legal experience, including significant intellectual property experience and at least three years of transactional work in the recorded music industry
• Demonstrated drafting and negotiation skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively interact with a range of personalities and negotiating styles and establish effective relationships externally and internally at all organizational levels
• Strongly self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a close-knit team
• Sound and practical business judgment
• Ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities
• Ability to work well in large, fast-paced department
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• Experience working in-house at a record label.
Why join us?
Warner Music Group is all about our people. We are one global company made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business.
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music, at every stage of their careers. We strive to set WMG apart from the rest of the industry by embracing a philosophy of innovation that is part of our company's DNA.
Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the biggest forces in music today.
Love this job and want to apply?
Click the ''Apply'' link or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile, but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don't be discouraged if you don't hear from us right away. We're taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG. Thanks for your interest in working for Warner Music Group. We love it here, and think you will too.
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, or any other legal recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application or employment process, please send an e-mail to Recruitment@wmg.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Copyright © 2020 Warner Music Inc.