Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs
Warner Music GroupLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music – at every stage of their career. We strive to set WMG apart by embracing innovation – an integral part of our company's DNA.
Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs
A little bit about our team:
WMG Global Catalog/Rhino Entertainment is the catalog division of Warner Music Group responsible for advancing the legacy of Warner's iconic artists and optimizing the performance of Warner's catalog of recorded music. Rhino's dynamic Business and Legal Affairs team share a passion for music and value hard work with a creative, problem solving mindset. We focus on innovative deals with and for WMG artists in areas of recorded music, brand licensing, and ancillary exploitation. We work cross-functionally with A&R, marketing, fan engagement, commerce, and finance to structure deals and further strong relationships with our artists. We also liaise with our sister labels Atlantic, Elektra and Warner Records as well as WMG's corporate teams.
Why this could be your next big break:
You will be challenged to grow as an attorney, as an executive, and as a leader. You will be responsible for managing new deals and projects, and for providing counsel in connection with day-to-day operations and label activities. The broad range of legal issues and practice areas we encounter, will challenge you to build upon your prior experience handling artist signings and offer a unique opportunity to develop new areas of expertise. This position reports to the SVP, Head of Business and Legal Affairs.
Here you'll get to:
• Negotiate and draft a variety of agreements related to recorded music rights (e.g. royalty deals, profits splits, and P&D agreements) in connection with superstar artists and others, and agreements related to merchandising rights, brand licensing, and non-traditional catalog artist projects, etc.
• Negotiate and draft agreements for master catalog acquisitions and royalty stream buyouts
• Work closely with Finance to develop deal analyses and evaluate potential deals
• Manage ongoing contractual relationships and handle a broad range of day-to-day business affairs matters relating to artists and projects
• Render general business and legal advice to all departments, including A&R, marketing, fan engagement, and commerce
• Help develop junior attorneys
• Knowledgeable and passionate about music
• JD plus admission to a U.S. state bar (California and/or New York preferred)
• 10 years experience with a minimum of 5+ years experience negotiating and drafting recording agreements and other agreements in connection with the acquisition and exploitation of intellectual property rights in the music business
• Strong working knowledge of copyright and contract law
• Excellent negotiation and drafting skills
• Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills
• Skill in managing a high volume of projects while maintaining precision and attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to work independently within a team-oriented environment
• Ability to meet deadlines consistently, and manage multiple projects effectively
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• Record label experience and an understanding of historical business concepts found in legacy artist agreements
• Exposure to corporate transactions
With its broad and diverse roster of new stars and legendary artists, Warner Music Group is home to a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, East West, Elektra, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Warner Records, Warner Classics and Warner Chappell Music, one of the world's leading music publishers with a catalogue of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
For more than four decades, WMG has been an industry-leading force in providing a world-class array of services designed to help artists and labels grow their careers and their businesses. Artist & Label Services is the umbrella for WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) – the pioneering WEA distribution and marketing network – and Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) – the ground-breaking global distribution company for independent artists and labels.
Love this job and want to apply?
Click the ''Apply'' link at the top of the page, or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile, but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don't be discouraged if you don't hear from us right away. We're taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG.
Thanks for your interest in working for WMG. We love it here, and think you will, too.
Copyright © 2022 Warner Music Inc.