Senior Director / Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs
Warner Music GroupLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
WMG's top priority is the safety and wellbeing of its team members, artists and songwriters across the globe. In response to COVID-19, WMG is fully committed to helping its people balance their home and life commitments with flexible working options, virtual wellness sessions, and more. WMG strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a condition of employment for all US new employees, prior to the commencement of employment. If you are hired, you will be required to provide proof of your vaccination as part of your new employee onboarding process, subject to our legal obligation to make reasonable accommodations in certain limited circumstances.
At Warner Music Group, we' re a global collective of music makers and music lovers, tech innovators and inspired entrepreneurs, game-changing creatives and passionate team members. Here, we know that e ach talent makes our collective bolder and brighter. We are guided by four core principles that underpin everything we do across all our diverse businesses :
• Music is Everything: Music is our passion, and we can never get enough. Tastes, trends, and tech will change, but great artists and songwriters will always be our driving force.
• Global Growth, Local Expertise: Music is a global language. Through communication and collaboration, our success can come from anywhere and translate everywhere.
• Innovation and Insight: Pushing the boundaries requires the best information and the boldest imagination. We use both to create the future.
• E mpowered by P eople: Like the artists we serve and the music they make, our differences make us stronger. This is a place where every talent can belong and build a career .
We remain committed to Diversity, Equity , and Inclusion . We k now it fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity.
Consider a career at WMG and get the best of both worlds – an innovative global music company that retains the creative spirit of a nimble independent.
Job Title: Senior Director/Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs (title commensurate with experience)
A little bit about our team:
We are a dynamic, diverse and dedicated group of professionals with a passion for music who provide general counseling to Warner Records across a wide range of business and legal issues. We value hard work, finely-tuned listening, and a forward-thinking mindset. We work closely with every department at the label, and we focus on structuring the label's business and legal relationship with each of our artists.
You will have the opportunity to make a meaningful and tangible contribution to the creation and release of our artists' music. You will be directly involved in all business and legal aspects of the process from recording to marketing to other activities surrounding artist projects. In a rapidly and ever-changing industry, you will be challenged to make the most of your existing skills while learning new ones. The Warner Records culture will challenge you to make the most of your skills while providing you ample opportunity to grow as an attorney and as an executive.
Here you'll get to:
• You will negotiate and draft a variety of music and entertainment-related agreements, including recording, label, license, producer, mixer, soundtrack, termination/release, and merchandise, along with related memos and summaries.
• You will advise and support A&R, marketing, video, commerce, promotion, royalties, international and other departments regarding contractual and legal obligations.
• You will work closely with A&R administration regarding clearances, budgets, approvals, and general counseling.
• You will work closely with Finance to develop deal analyses.
• You will review and vet artwork, label copy, videos, and other assets and materials.
• You will provide business and legal counseling and policy guidance regarding label's distribution of content and other business activities.
• You will investigate, analyze and respond to claims and disputes, including copyright, audit, breach of contract, publicity and trademark, and coordinate with corporate legal department regarding dispute resolution strategies.
• You are extremely passionate and knowledgeable about music.
• You have a J.D. plus membership in good standing in one state bar (preferably New York or California).
• You have at least 12 years of post-bar experience, including at least 8-10 years in a major record label business and legal affairs department, in-house legal department, law firm, or similar experience.
• You have superior negotiating, drafting, organizational, and oral and written communication skills.
• You have a demonstrated ability to work independently, within a team-oriented environment.
• You are able to meet deadlines consistently and effectively while working under pressure and can manage multiple assignments and prioritize them effectively and appropriately.
We'd love it if you also had:
• Strong business and financial knowledge.
• In-depth understanding of the areas of the law applicable to the music business, including copyright, trademark, contract, rights of publicity, etc.
As the home to 300 Elektra, Asylum, Atlantic, East West, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone , Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Warner Records, Warner Classics , and several other of the world's premier recording labels, Warner Music Group champio n s emerging artists and global superstars alike. And o ur renowned publishing company, Warner Chappell Music, represents genre-spanning songwriters and producers through a catalogue of more than one million copyrights worldwide . Redefining what it means to be a music company in the 21st century, our consumer brands include trend-setters like UPROXX, Songkick , HipHopDX , and EMP. We're the home to W MX – the next generation services division that connects artists with fans and amplif ies brands in creative, immersive, and engaging ways – and Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) – the ground-breaking global distribution company for independent artists and labels.
Together, w e are Warner Music Group: Music With Vision & Voice.
Love this job and want to apply ?
Click the ''Apply'' link at the top of the page, or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile, but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don't be discouraged if you don't hear from us right away. We're taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG.
Thanks for your interest in working for WMG. We love it here, and think you will, too.
WMG is committed to inclusion and diversity in all aspects of our business. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and will evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, marital status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Copyright © 2022 Warner Music Inc.