Senior Associate, Claims
Warner Music GroupNashville, TN
Full Time Job
Senior Associate, Claims
We currently have a fantastic opportunity to join the Inquiries & Claims Team in our innovative and highly sought-after Legal Department at WMG's Center of Excellence for Shared Services.
A little bit about our team:
The U.S. Legal Shared Services organization is based in WMG's Center of Excellence for Shared Services in Nashville, Tennessee (the ''Center''). The Center is currently home to team members affiliated with four different business service organizations: The U.S. Legal Shared Services organization (or ''LSS''), the U.S. Finance Shared Services organization (or ''FSS''), the Global Data Organization, and WEA Corp. (WMG's distribution company). LSS consists of three departments: Audit, Legal, and Publishing. Employees of the Center provide services to all of WMG's U.S. record labels, Warner Chappell Music Publishing, WEA Corp. and Alternative Distribution Alliance (WMG's distribution companies), and WMG's other U.S. business units.
The Legal Department is responsible for:
• Inquires & Claims: handling inquiries and claims from artists and third parties, managing pre-litigation legal claims, managing litigations involving WMG's recorded music catalog rights in conjunction with WMG's corporate litigation in-house counsel, and providing legal support to the Audit Department,
• Enforcement: enforcing WMG's rights in recorded music repertoire and some artist trademarks controlled by its U.S. record labels,
• Research Team: researching WMG's recorded music catalog rights,
• Copyright Registration: filing applications to register copyrights in and to WMG's recorded music repertoire, and
• Union Relations: managing WMG's relationships with the labor unions with which WMG's U.S. record labels have collective bargaining agreements.
Members of the Department work closely with employees in the Business Affairs, Finance, Production, Operations, New Media, and Marketing departments of each label client to fulfill the above-referenced responsibilities for the recordings and record those labels release.
Why this could be your next big break:
The candidate hired to fill this position will: (1) answer, research and resolve complex inquiries from artists, producers, and other third parties, (2) assist with the management of incoming claims and litigations, and (3) provide contract administration support and legal advice to the Audit Department.
Here you'll get to:
• Supervise one member of the Inquiries & Claims team
• Field, research, and resolve complex incoming inquiries from recording artists, other third party royalty participants, and their representatives;
• Field, research, and resolve third party (including artist and other payee) legal claims, including accounting claims, copyright claims, sample claims, and reversion-of-rights claims;
• Communicate the relevant details of the aforementioned incoming claims to the relevant internal clients, and secure the approval of such clients over the resolution of such matters;
• Draft legal documents related to the settlement of all incoming claims;
• Assist the corporate in-house litigation team with the management of litigations pertaining to catalog WMG artists, including by performing legal and financial research;
• Review and interpret recording agreements and other contracts for the audit team and other business units; draft and track all audit settlement and other related agreements for the audit team and work with artist representatives/counsel to finalize all such agreements; and
• Perform other tasks as requested by Legal Department senior management, such as drafting cease and desist letters and other correspondence necessary in the pursuit of potential third party infringers and assisting with the resolution of such claims.
Rockstar candidates will have the following:
• Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited, U.S. law school is required;
• License to practice law in Tennessee is required;
• Candidate must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Candidate must possess excellent analytical, mathematical and organizational skills;
• Candidate must possess strong legal and Internet research skills;
• Candidate must possess strong dispute resolution skills;
• Candidate must have strong computer skills and proficiency using Microsoft Office's Excel, Word and PowerPoint applications;
• Candidate must be able to work well independently and as part of a team;
• Candidate must be able to meet deadlines consistently and effectively while working under pressure; and
• Candidate must be able to manage multiple assignments at any given time and prioritize them effectively and appropriately.
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• 3 years of relevant, music industry and/or law firm experience, including reviewing and analyzing music industry recording agreements and resolving legal claims.
• Some experience working with audits.
Copyright © 2019 Warner Music Inc.