Legal Analyst, Rights Enforcement
Warner Music GroupNashville, TN
Full Time Job
At Warner Music Group we're all about our people. Our global company is made up of knowledgeable, passionate, and creative individuals. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We believe in each individual's value and encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity.
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music – at every stage of their career. We strive to set WMG apart by embracing innovation – an integral part of our company's DNA.
Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the most influential forces in culture today.
Legal Analyst, Rights Enforcement
A little bit about our team:
Warner Music's Center of Excellence for Shared Services, opened in 2017, is the home to the financial, legal and administrative functions that provide critical support and best-in-class services to our US Recorded Music and Publishing businesses. The Nashville center embodies the innovative and creative spirit that stems from the company's deep history in nurturing entrepreneurial thinking and artist-focused innovation, enabling our employees to develop a wide range of skills through cross-function collaboration and development opportunities.
The Legal Department is responsible for enforcing WMG's rights in the recorded music catalog repertoire controlled by its U.S. record labels, managing litigations involving WMG's recorded music catalog rights in conjunction with WMG's corporate litigation in-house counsel, fielding inquiries and claims from third parties, researching WMG's recorded music catalog rights, filing applications to register copyrights in and to WMG's recorded music repertoire, and managing WMG's relationships with the labor unions with which WMG's U.S. record labels have collective bargaining agreements.
Members of the Legal Department work closely with employees in the Legal and Business Affairs at the record labels, Finance, Production, Operations, New Media, and Marketing departments of each label client to fulfill the above-referenced responsibilities for the recordings and record those labels release.
Why this could be your next big break:
This is a great opportunity to make an immediate and significant contribution to a growing legal team. The candidate hired to fill this position will support the Rights Enforcement Senior Associate. The Rights Enforcement Team is responsible for developing strategies for identifying third parties who may be infringing upon WMGs intellectual property rights, investigating potential infringements, and devising strategies for addressing infringements in order to stop infringing activity and secure appropriate compensation from any infringing parties.
Here you'll get to:
• Investigate and analyze potential infringements of WMG's intellectual property rights, including conducting due diligence, rights confirmation, and collecting/preserving evidence;
• Assist with drafting sending take-down notices, cease and desist letters, and other correspondence necessary in the pursuit of potential third party infringers;
• Liaise with other WMG business units and departments, outside counsel, and third parties in connection with affirmative infringement claims;
• Monitor communications for DMCA notices of copyright infringement and direct to appropriate internal contacts.
• Organize and manage related documents and spreadsheets and provide general administrative assistance;
• Assist with the tracking and reporting of enforcement matters to various internal departments;
• Become knowledgeable and well acquainted with the trademarks enforced on behalf of internal clients and the authorized licensees of any such trademark;
• Work on unique projects related to the Team's role and responsibilities; and
• Perform any other duties and tasks related to the Team's role and responsibilities that might be assigned by the Team's senior management from time to time.
Rock star candidates will have:
• An undergraduate degree or paralegal certificate, or a combination of both education and relevant experience;
• Exceptional attention to detail.
• Familiarity with copyright registrations and navigating the U.S. Copyright Office online catalog.
• Excellent organization, analytic, and time-management skills, including the ability to work independently, follow deadlines, and effectively multitask.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to conduct themselves in the highest ethical manner, and exhibit professional demeanor and sound judgment.
• Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, and social media platforms.
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• Prior experience working in a law firm or legal setting; and
• General music industry and/or copyright law knowledge.
With its broad and diverse roster of new stars and legendary artists, Warner Music Group is home to a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, East West, Elektra, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Warner Records, Warner Classics and Warner Chappell Music, one of the world's leading music publishers with a catalogue of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
For more than four decades, WMG has been an industry-leading force in providing a world-class array of services designed to help artists and labels grow their careers and their businesses. Artist & Label Services is the umbrella for WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) – the pioneering WEA distribution and marketing network – and Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) – the ground-breaking global distribution company for independent artists and labels.
Love this job and want to apply?
Click the ''Apply'' link at the top of the page, or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile, but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don't be discouraged if you don't hear from us right away. We're taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG.
Thanks for your interest in working for WMG. We love it here, and think you will, too.
WMG is committed to inclusion and diversity in all aspects of our business. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and will evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, marital status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Copyright © 2021 Warner Music Inc.