Director, Business & Legal Affairs
Warner Music GroupLos Angeles, CA
This was removed by the employer on 7/13/2021 3:30:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Executive Positions Category
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Browse the Music Category
Search for Director, Business & Legal Affairs jobs in Los Angeles-CA
Search all Director, Business & Legal Affairs postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Director, Business & Legal Affairs?
Full Time Job
At Warner Music Group we're all about our people. Our global company is made up of knowledgeable, passionate, and creative individuals. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We believe in each individual's value and encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity.
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music – at every stage of their career. We strive to set WMG apart by embracing innovation – an integral part of our company's DNA.
Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the most influential forces in culture today.
Job Title: Director, Business & Legal Affairs
A little bit about our team:
We are a dynamic, diverse and dedicated group of professionals with a passion for music who provide general counseling to Warner Records across a wide range of business and legal issues. We value hard work, finely-tuned listening, and a forward-thinking mindset. We work closely with every department at the label, and we focus on structuring the label's business and legal relationship with each of our artists.
Why this could be your next big break:
You will have the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of a record company – and the recorded music business more generally – while making a meaningful and tangible contribution to the creation and release of our artists' music. You will be directly involved in all business and legal aspects of the process from recording to marketing to other activities surrounding artist projects. In a rapidly and ever-changing industry, you will be challenged to make the most of your existing skills while learning new ones. The Warner Records culture will challenge you to make the most of your skills while providing you ample opportunity to grow as an attorney and as an executive.
Here you'll get to:
• You will negotiate and draft proposals and a variety of music and entertainment-related agreements, including recording, label, license, producer, mixer, soundtrack, termination/release, and merchandise, along with related memos and summaries.
• You will research, advise and support A&R, marketing, video, commerce, promotion, royalties, international and other departments regarding contractual and legal obligations.
• You will work closely with A&R administration regarding clearances, budgets, approvals, and general counseling.
• You will work closely with Finance to develop deal analyses.
• You will review and vet artwork, label copy, videos, and other assets and materials.
• You will provide business and legal counseling and policy guidance regarding label's distribution of content and other business activities.
• You will investigate, analyze and respond to claims and disputes, including copyright, audit, breach of contract, publicity and trademark, and coordinate with corporate legal department regarding dispute resolution strategies.
• You are extremely passionate and knowledgeable about music.
• You have a J.D. from top law school plus membership in good standing in one state bar (preferably New York or California).
• You have at least 5 years of post-bar experience in a major record label business and legal affairs department, in-house legal department, law firm, or similar experience.
• You have superior negotiating, drafting, organizational, and oral and written communication skills.
• You have a demonstrated ability to work independently, within a team-oriented environment.
• You must be able to meet deadlines consistently and effectively while working under pressure; candidate must be able to manage multiple assignments at any given time and prioritize them effectively and appropriately.
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• In-depth understanding of the areas of the law applicable to the music business, including copyright, trademark, contract, rights of publicity, etc.
• Strong business and financial knowledge.
With its broad and diverse roster of new stars and legendary artists, Warner Music Group is home to a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, East West, Elektra, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Warner Records, Warner Classics and Warner Chappell Music, one of the world's leading music publishers with a catalogue of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
For more than four decades, WMG has been an industry-leading force in providing a world-class array of services designed to help artists and labels grow their careers and their businesses. Artist & Label Services is the umbrella for WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) – the pioneering WEA distribution and marketing network – and Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) – the ground-breaking global distribution company for independent artists and labels.
Love this job and want to apply?
Click the ''Apply'' link at the top of the page, or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile, but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don't be discouraged if you don't hear from us right away. We're taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG.
Thanks for your interest in working for WMG. We love it here, and think you will, too.
WMG is committed to inclusion and diversity in all aspects of our business. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and will evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, marital status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Copyright © 2021 Warner Music Inc.