Director, Business & Legal Affairs
Warner Music GroupCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Director, Business & Legal Affairs
We are Warner Music Group, home to a broad roster of new stars and legendary artists through a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, Big Beat, Canvasback, East West, Elektra, Erato, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Reprise, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Spinnin', Warner Records, Warner Classics, and Warner Music Nashville, as well as Warner Chappell Music, one of the world's leading music publishers, with a catalog of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
For more than four decades, WMG has been an industry-leading force in providing a world-class array of services designed to help artists and labels grow their careers and their businesses. Artist & Label Services is the umbrella for WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) – the pioneering WEA distribution and marketing network – and Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) – the groundbreaking global distribution company for independent artists and labels.
We currently have a fantastic opportunity to join our innovative and highly sought-after Business & Legal Affairs team at UPROXX.
A little bit about our team:
UPROXX, a Warner Music Group Company, is one of the largest youth culture brands in the world. Through proprietary technology, journalists, and our award-winning video content studio, we help brands connect to the digital generation. We inform, entertain and inspire our audience through the passion points they care about: Sports, News, Culture, Entertainment, Music, and Lifestyle.
Why this could be your next big break:
The Director, Business & Legal Affairs, will provide day-to-day business and legal affairs services for UPROXX and will be responsible for drafting and negotiating production services agreements, advertising and media buys and sales, talent agreements, appearance and location releases, deals with technology vendors, NDAs, sweepstakes, and contest rules and more; advising on and executing business strategy for UPROXX; and liaising with and providing guidance to other Warner Music Group departments (including WEA, Corporate, Business Development and the Warner Music Group Labels) and affiliates.
Here you'll get to:
• Draft and negotiate production agreements (e.g., production services agreements, joint promotion agreements, talent, venue, and location releases) and manage and advise on a broad range of production-related legal matters.
• Draft and negotiate various agreements for Uproxx's marketing and advertising activities, including sponsorships.
• Draft and negotiate technology vendor agreements (e.g., software licenses, SaaS subscriptions, AdTech deals, etc.)
• Oversee contract administration and compliance.
• Draft contract summaries and assisting with other special projects as requested by senior business and legal affairs executives.
• Provide on-site coverage for original programming when necessary.
• Ensure compliance with contractual and legal obligations, including participation in the development and implementation of Uproxx's contract-related policies and procedures
• Partner to assist with additional related tasks as needed.
Rockstar candidates will be able to:
• Strong understanding of intellectual property law, 1st Amendment, and causes of action common in entertainment and media industry cases, including privacy, defamation, and rights of publicity
• Strong negotiating, analytical, and organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal skills to successfully interface with outside attorneys, senior management, and general staff
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Sound and practical business judgment
• Attention to detail and the ability to manage a high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• At least 5 years relevant transactional legal experience
• At least 2 years of entertainment industry or other relevant in-house experience preferred
• J.D. and active license to practice law in California
Why join us?
Warner Music Group is all about our people. We are one global company made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business.
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music, every stage of their career. We strive to set WMG apart from the rest of the industry by embracing a philosophy of innovation that is part of our company's DNA.
Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the biggest forces in music today.
Love this job and want to apply?
Click the ''Apply'' link or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don't be discouraged if you don't hear from us right away. We're taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG.
Thanks for your interest in working for Warner Music Group. We love it here and think you will too.
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, or any other legal recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application or employment process, please send an e-mail to Recruitment@wmg.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Copyright © 2020 Warner Music Inc.