Warner Music GroupLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
We are Warner Music Group, home to a broad roster of new stars and legendary artists through a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, Big Beat, Canvasback, East West, Elektra, Erato, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Reprise, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Spinnin', Warner Records, Warner Classics, and Warner Music Nashville, as well as Warner Chappell Music, one of the world's leading music publishers, with a catalog of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
Warner Chappell Production Music (WCPM) is a global leader in the production music industry with over 35 years of experience and success and boasts 140,000+ music tracks in its catalogs. With new leadership, a forthcoming new website and (2) new recording studios (Nashville, Los Angeles), WCPM is poised for growth in numerous segments of the music industry including expansion of its custom music services, online presence and co-venture opportunities. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a highly-motivated team focused on establishing a strong music production presence in Los Angeles.
A little bit about our team:
Warner Chappell Production Music is a part of Warner Music Group, home to a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry, including Atlantic, Elektra, Rhino, and Warner Records, as well as Warner Chappell Music, one of the world's leading music publishers, with a catalog of more than one million copyrights worldwide. WCPM have been the recipients of many industry awards, including multiple Emmy®, Telly, ADDY and Promax honors.
Why this could be your next big break:
WCPM will be opening a brand new, mid-size studio September 2020 and is looking for a full-time mixing/recording engineer to work with a small production crew to record, mix and master music and sound design for its music library and custom 'to-picture' clients in the film, TV, trailer and advertising industry, working under the direct supervision of the VP Production and other executives as may be designated.
Here you'll get to:
• Responsible for in-house mixing and mastering of library product (including timing, pitch correction & 'cleaning') of tracks commissioned from external composers and sound designers;
• Responsible for tracking/overdubbing live players and singers as needed in our midsize tracking room (10-12 players);
• Responsible for recording and mixing music-to-picture for and with custom clients;
• Work with Project Manager and freelance Second Engineer to oversee prep and breakdown for recording sessions including arranging musicians, overseeing set-up/breakdown of needed equipment, cables and cues systems, preparing sessions and loading necessary files, testing and placement of microphones and other equipment;
• Work collaboratively with both programmers and audio content creators, in-house and out-of-house, to finesse desired audio quality (during recording, mixing and mastering);
• Under the oversight of VP Production and Head of Production, finalize mixing of all in-house projects including creating various submixes and stems;
• Assist Project Manager with hiring of freelance editors and second engineers as needed;
• Assist as needed with oversight of remote recording sessions including working with Composers and Project Manager to prep sessions and approve deliverables;
• Work with Network Administrator to digitize, organize and create conversions of audio files as needed for archiving;
• Work closely with VP Production with regard to quality control issues, equipment purchasing and upkeep, new technologies, etc.;
• Coordinate and communicate with internal/external producers and composers with regard to mix approach and approvals;
• Provide creative input with regard to introducing new talent and projects to the team for consideration;
• Assist Project Manager in ensuring efficient production workflow via WCPM's CMS system;
• Work closely with custom clients to fulfill expectations and complete projects in a timely and efficient manner;
• Demonstrate high aesthetic and technical standards commensurate with WCPM's commitment to high-level quality of its product and services;
• Work closely with Project Manager overseeing maintenance and upkeep of studio;
• Handle and safeguard confidential and proprietary information;
• Must be able to effectively communicate internally and/or externally in a manner consistent with the company's Code of Conduct and core values.
• Must be able to come to work on time without restriction as to time commitment.
• Must be able to read and understand materials and documents and have the ability to recognize and extract critical data and information.
• Must be able to perform all diverse physical tasks necessary to complete all the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
• Must be able to work at and utilize all necessary functions of a computer in order to complete all the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on a semi-regular basis and perform other diverse physical tasks as needed.
Rockstar candidates will be able to:
• Will supervise freelance Second Engineers and Editors as necessary.
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• Five (5) years of first engineering experience, preferably in a professional recording studio or similar music production company.
• Experience with production music a plus.
• A satisfactory equivalent of education, training and experience in related fields and/or educational disciplines, sufficient to qualify for the requirements of position.
• B.A. in Music or Audio Studies a plus.
• Must have in-depth experience recording/mixing a wide variety of musical genres and styles including orchestral, rock, hip hop, EDM, swing, underscore, sound design, pop, world, country, ambient, etc.
• Must have experience with large format consoles, knowledge of complex analog and digital signal routing.
• Must be very proficient with Pro Tools, (basic knowledge of Logic welcomed)
• Must be a team player who puts service and clients first
• Must be hands-on with regard to understanding recording best practices, recording gear, player formations, mic-ing and wiring
• Must be pro-active in solving technical and workflow issues
• Must maintain calm during times of stress due to tight deadlines, difficult clients
• Be prompt and well-prepared for all sessions
• Must be flexible with working hours as they correlate with nighttime sessions
• Must be able to read music and/or follow charts, being a musician a plus but not essential
• Must have required basic knowledge of recording studio operations including a working knowledge of the duties of the engineering staff, technical support staff, studio assistants, music editors, copyists and related positions.
• Must demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing situations
• Must have strong interpersonal skills
• Must have a resourceful approach to problem solving
• Must have strong organization skills
• Must be be detail-oriented
• Must have highly developed multitasking skills
• Must demonstrate ability to work effectively as a member of a team
• Strong written and verbal communication skills a plus
• Must be self-directed to prioritize daily schedule and meet deadlines while maintaining high quality standards
• Must have working knowledge of Microsoft