Associate Counsel, Litigation
Warner Music GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Associate Counsel, Litigation
Job title: Associate Counsel, Litigation
A little bit about our team:
WMG's corporate Legal Department is located at corporate headquarters in NYC (and also in London) and supports WMG's recorded music labels, music publishing entities and all operating companies and departments in various legal matters, including litigation and claims, digital licensing, content protection, anti-piracy, mergers and acquisitions, securities, compliance and employment.
Why this could be your next big break:
This position is a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in all aspects of the litigations and pre-litigation claims affecting a global entertainment company and its affiliated record labels and music publishing entities. In this role, you will not only handle some of the most cutting-edge legal issues facing the music industry, but you will also work closely with Legal & Business Affairs at the record labels and music publishing entities, Business Development, Finance and many other departments to develop a well-rounded experience in the music industry.
Here you'll get to:
• Handle both affirmative and defensive claims and litigations relating to the cutting-edge legal issues affecting the music industry, including copyright, trademark, the DMCA, fair use, defamation and anti-piracy.
• Draft cease-and-desist letters, review and revise case filings, analyze artist and songwriter contracts and other agreements, and negotiate and draft settlements.
• Provide legal advice and guidance to WMG's record labels and publishing companies and other divisions including Business Development, Finance, Insurance, HR, Licensing and Royalties.
• Investigate digital services, websites and mobile apps that use Warner Music Group sound recordings, musical compositions and artwork without a license.
• Prepare quarterly reporting documents pertaining to litigations and claims affecting the company.
• Interact with WMG's internal business units, outside and opposing counsel, artist and songwriter representatives, music industry trade associations, and infringing services.
Rock star candidates will have:
• A JD and active license to practice law in New York.
• 5+ years of experience practicing litigation with an emphasis on copyright law.
• Familiarity with recording agreements, music publishing agreements, administration agreements and licensing agreements.
• Experience in negotiations.
• Strong interpersonal skills to successfully interface with outside attorneys, senior management and internal employees.
• Self-motivation, with the ability to work independently, follow deadlines, effectively manage time and multitask.
• Excellent writing, communication and organizational skills.
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• Experience in the music industry or experience working on litigations involving recording agreements and music publishing agreements.
• Experience working in-house.